Connecting 2 UR816C Units Together

Is it possible to connect two UR816Cs together into a single contiguous audio interface in Cubase 10.5? If so, what are the connections and are there any issues?

Thanks for any help on this.

2 Likes

Bump…Did you get an answer to this question since I want to know the same thing, the manual describes HA mode but also shows a diagram with a usb cable running from each unit to the computer.

1 Like

I’m wondering the exact same thing. I want at least 24 channels available.

Hi
On a PC you cannot reliably sue two soundcards connected to the same computer at the same time, so to connect two 816c you set up one as master, connected to your PC, and the other connects only via ADAT and word clock. I guess this is what they mean by HA mode, and afaik the unit in HA mode should not be connected directly to the PC.
On a mac you can do the same, but you can also have both connected to the mac and use them together as an Aggregate device:

If you are on PC, you cannot get that from 816:s as the max is 16 channels. With UR824 tou can get 24 in though🙂

Presonus Studio 192 f.e. can handle 2 extra ADATs instead of 1.

Sure, just like Steinberg UR824 and a bunch of other interfaces:)

I’ve got both connected but can seem to get a line signal for the slaved one, is there something I’m missing when I have connected them, massive confusion has set in

Anyone have any info on this? Just ordered a 2nd 816 for more channels and MIDI. Does HA mode let you access the 2nd MIDI ? does not sound like it.

No, the 816c in HA mode is a slave to the 816c connected to your comuter, and the HA unit provides 8 extra in and out via ADAT.

I bought a much cheaper Behringer ADA8200 as second ADAT on my UR816C, works great for extra ADATs and sounds(preamps) the same to me.

Does phantom power work on the HA mode ? Looks like it doesn’t, there’s no indicator for it in dpsMisFx but the light illuminates on the unit

I guess when it lights on the unit, its active. It’s a hardware connection.

1 Like

How do I change the mode on the slave unit?

Im about ready to sell both of tvese interfaces and breakput my 2" deck…
If anyone needs 2 interfaces Ill give you a great deal…