Connecting an external MIDI instrument

I tried and tried but now I need to turn to the experts!

I am a new user with limited experience in DAW and apparently in the whole concept of bus.

I have Cubase 7.5 and it works very well. I have added VST instruments with success. My MIDI interface is a Focusrite and my controller is a Korg Triton Le music work station. There are great sounds on this keyboard and I am still trying to access them.

I have installed all the Triton bank patches and the Triton appears as a VST instrument in the menu. I can select the different sounds from the track inspector but I cannot hear them. The VST instrument menu shows three forward slashes (///) on the right side of each of my VST instruments but the Triton shows an X. In the device connection menu, I set it up using the ‘‘add external instrument’’ and it shows up in the list of external instruments.

In the track inspector, I can select it as a VST instrument. The VU meters move when I play and I can even record a track. But there is no sound!

I suspect that this has something to do with busses. If you could point me in the right direction to resolve this, I would be very happy!

Robert

In your Arrange Window, or Inspector window, on the track lane(s) do you have your outputs selected? That is, on your midi track, while it’s selected/highlighted…to the upper left area of the inspector window, there are outputs to choose from…depending on what you’ve selected when you set up your project for your VST Inputs/Outputs, or VST connections.

Hi

In Cubase 7.5, that would be the channel editor. The output channel is set at Stereo out, which I think is normal. When I choose another VST instrument from the list, I can hear the VST instrument play. When I select the Triton, there is still no sound. The problem may be deeper.

Robert