Connecting Jupiter50 and Arturia Sparkle

Hello everyone,
I’ve been using my Jupiter 50 as my main controller through a Focusrite 18i8 without any problems but I’ve just invested in an Arturia SparkLE as I prefer pads to bang out my drum beats. Is there anyway to get them both to behave together in Cubase so both can be used as inputs? I’m using Focusrite ASIO which is fine but I can’t obviously use this driver with both devices together. Or can I? Or, is my only solution to make my drum patterns with my SparkLE controller, shut it down then drag the midi file into Cubase? I’d prefer not to keep opening and shutting things down. Back in the day of midi I had a switch box which sat between my midi keyboard and my SR16 and worked fine. Guess I’m looking for a similar solution and the settings to make it work. At the moment with both connected up if I create an instrument track I can use here (and see a midi input) from both the SparkLE and Jupiter. If I set the VST instrument to SparkLE after that the Jupiter input no longer works until I shut everything down.

Anyone help?
The strange thing is, I can start Cubase, load up a project. The input from my keyboard works, I then add a track using Spark, Spark works, then the keyboard stops working!

You have to be more specific, what inputs ? Audio or midi.
Is it live playing (monitoring) or do the midi tracks not play ?
what type of tracks, midi or instruments track, any VSTi’s involved ?

If it’s only midi you are talking about, so connecting both device so you can transmit midi data, you can just connect both devices with the USB to host to your computer? Or connect the Juniper with 5 pin din cables to the Focusrite and the SparkLE to your computer. They should both be usable in Cubase. You don’t mention how you have them connected at the moment? So there’s not much to on here.

I’ll post a full run down later as I’m at work but the Jupiter is 5 pin midi into the focusrite which is USB into the PC. The SparkLE is obviously using USB.

Ok, hopefully more details.
Cubase elements 8.
Windows 10PC
Focusrite 18i8 USB interface on which the Jupiter 50 is connected using 5 pin midi connections.
Arturia SparkLE is connected using USB

Midi port setup is as follows:

VST setup as follows:

VST track created and input is accepted from the Jupiter 50

If I then add the Spark as either a midi track or intrument track I can see midi data coming it, but it doesn’t record it. Also I then cannot use the Jupiter 50 for input - it seems to loose the connection

I have 8 midi and 2 usb to host devices connected and never had any issue as you describe. So it’s hard for me to say what might cause this? But these things spring to mind that you can try:

• Do you have the latest usb driver installed for the Focusrite? Connect it to a different usb port or even try a usb 3 port. As long as you stop it from sharing the same group of ports as the SparkLE is using.
  • Try to test using a the generic low latency asio driver to see if this this solves the issue.
  • Make sure the SparkLE is is using the latest firmware.
  • Make sure the SparkLE and Focusrite are connected directly to your computer and not to a usb hub.
  • Does this also happen when you connect the Jupiter 50 also as usb to host device?
  • Turn on ‘All midi inputs’ in Midi port setup for the SparkLE and try both all midi inputs and device selected.
  • Look at the setup of the SparkLE and make sure it transmits only midi and not sequencer data as well.

Hope you have enough options to play around with for the coming weekend? :smiley:

• Do you have the latest usb driver installed for the Focusrite? Connect it to a different usb port or even try a usb 3 port. As long as you stop it from sharing the same group of ports as the SparkLE is using.
    Yes, it’s the latest but how do I stop it sharing the same group of ports?

• Try to test using a the generic low latency asio driver to see if this this solves the issue.
    No different unfortunately.

• Make sure the SparkLE and Focusrite are connected directly to your computer and not to a usb hub.
    They weren’t, but they are now and still no different

• Turn on ‘All midi inputs’ in Midi port setup for the SparkLE and try both all midi inputs and device selected.
    Again, no different.

• Does this also happen when you connect the Jupiter 50 also as usb to host device?
    I didn’t think you could as they would both require the ASIO driver?

It’s almost as though once the SparkLE is active it blocks access from the Jupiter.

Ok, ‘think’ I may have sorted it.
Using the Jupiter 50 on USB directly for input seems to have sorted the problem out (not using it through the Focusrite on 5pin). Still don’t fully understand it myself, but will test more later.

The USB to host from a device is different from your usb interface connection on the Focusrite. The usb connection between the Focusrite and the computer handles audio and midi data going through the interface. Usb to host deals with midi data and dedicated audio for that specific device over that usb line. It has nothing to do with your Focusrite Asio driver. In fact you can only select one Asio driver at a time in Cubase so you can not use both Focusrite asio and SparkLE asio (if it has one?) at the same time. You should also not use 5 pin din and usb to host connections of the same device at the same time.

It might be a compatibility issue between the Jupiter50 and the midi interface on your Focusrite. But could also be a some midi setting that conflicts and is not active while using usb to host?

Anyway, glad it’s working now.