Connecting lines/ voice ... not working :)

Hallo, I have two questions:

1. Every time I put a note to another clef this connecting lines (between the two clefs) apear. You can see it in the first bar. How can I remove them? Or better: Tell dorico not to make them?
  2. I want to change the voice for the g in the f-Clef - It should be one semibreve (… I think this is the right word… a hole note… translated from german :))… like you see it in the third bar … but it is not working. I tried “v” "shift v and in the menu with the right mouseclick… nothings working.
    Thank you!

Hi Catarina.

It really looks as though you’re working with a single upstem voice here while you should use at least a new downstem voice on each staff. Shift v once when the caret is on (shift-n to invoke the caret) should create that downstem voice, then you can enter notes in this new voice. Once the new voice is created, you can use v to switch voices. I recommend that you use voice colours on, no matter how experienced in Dorico you are (you can set yourself a shortcut for it)
Hope it helps!

This video is a little outdated, but the general principles still hold:

Also, check out this material from the Operation Manual:

Cool, thank you!
The first problem is solved.
The G in the F-Clef is a semibrave now.

Now I moved down the C and F should, but it should be joined to a chord with Ab
How can I join these notes?

Select the notes in the upper staff.
Press alt-M.

No, that already happened apparently.
The A flats and the C-F belong to different voices in different staves. What’s needed is that the A flats move to the upper staff first, join the C-F chord, and then the chord can cross (i.e. be displayed only, not moved) to the lower staff.
Steps:

• select the A flats
  • press Alt-N: the A flats may already ‘glue’ to the C-F chord;
    if not:
  • select all notes in the upper staff
  • from the contextual (right-click) menu choose Change to voice > up-stem voice 1
  • now type M ( just M, no Alt key)

If you switch on voice colours (View menu), it’s easier to see what you’re doing.

I tried it and the notes from the upper staff moved onto the lower staff and joined stems with the A flats in the lower staff, forming 3-note chords. From the description given, this sounds like what was desired.

I started with this:

Selected the notes in the upper staff:

Then pressed alt-M, with this result:

I got it! Thanks!!

1 Like

Please, I advised to turn the voice colours on. It’s a really good advice, it does help to see what is happening and you earn time. Whatever your experience with Dorico.

1 Like

The difference is that after Alt-M, the chords really become home to the bottom staff, resulting in rests above, whereas just M makes them cross-staff: they’re still technically part of the upper staff, just displayed lower. The top staff will have empty space instead of rests.