Considering upgrading Cubase (8.5 Pro, currently)

Hi there! I’m currently using Cubase Pro 8.5 and it’s working fine, but I’m considering upgrading to the latest version (11). It’s pretty difficult for me to figure out all the differences between 8.5 and 11 (no doubt there’s a lot) and that’s why I’m hesitant on upgrading. I mostly use Cubase for guitar and vocal recording, occasionally I use VST sounds (mostly Kontakt-based). I have HALion Sonic SE 3 (got that with Dorico), but don’t use any other Steinberg instruments.

What would you recommend? Is the upgrade - currently €160 - worth it and why (not)?

Thanks!

Download the demo?

SOS magazine does an article each time a new version comes out. If you want to get a quick idea without mussing your hair, or installing new software, have a look:
https://www.soundonsound.com/search/all?terms=Steinberg+Cubase

1 Like

There’s a super compact Cubase version history in Wikipedia that mentions a lot of the features added for each version:

Yes, there’s a lot added and worth it for that (5 versions update), but I don’t know how much of it is useful for your use case. But for your vocals, VariAudio was greatly improved with C10. Check it out. And, a small but useful feature not mentioned in the links: if you use Punch-in in Cycle recording, you’ll appreciate the small but useful feature that the Punch-points and Locators can now be separated (from version 9.5, I think).

Here’s a big article about just the C10 update (you’ll notice many GUI updates, to the better):

If you are hesitant, you could wait some months for the summer sale, that would be an absolute bargain.