Consolidate "tacet al fine"?

I have several parts whose tacet 30-or-so bars are cluttered up by various rest-breaking items, like tempo marks and double bar lines. If I could consolidate these into a single multi-bar rest, I could fit those parts on one page.

I’d love to be able to condense them into a “tacet al fine,” since the player is done, with nothing more to count. I know about “number of bars to indicate tacet al fine,” but of course that doesn’t account for the breaking items.

Is there, or could there be in the future, an option to consolidate the remainder of the piece into “tacet al fine”? I certainly understand this shouldn’t be the default behavior, but it sure would be nice in certain instances.

2 Likes

There’s no option to do this at the moment. It would be quite tricky to do, because of the way Dorico groups bars into rests. However, it’s not inconceivable that at some point in the future we might be able to provide a way of forcing bars into a multi-bar rest even if Dorico disagrees, so perhaps this will make it possible in the future.

Thanks for the consideration!

Yes, it would be wonderful if we could (selectively) tell Dorico “from here until the end of the flow, this is all tacet” — I’d love to tidy up the end of this movement, and replacing the final multirest with “tacet al fine” doesn’t really help with that. Ideally after the final notes of the flow, that’s where I like the “tacet al fine” to come.

At the same time, there are times when I would not want that to happen, like when the following movement is attacca and the instrument plays at the beginning. So it would be generally helpful to have slightly more control over what gets turned into a “tacet al fine” marking (in the long run).

I’m definitely with you on this one. It would be smart – and very “doricy” – to have an engraving option to consolidate rests at the end of a flow to a “tacet al fine” regardless of tempo changes, meter changes, repeats or all sorts of special barlines.

Sorry for ‘bumping’ this but I’ve only just realised Dorico’s limitations on this issue. Here’s hoping for a solution in the future; I’m sure it will be expertly designed/implemented whenever it appears!