Constant crashes, play head repeatedly wont play even after restart, and various other issues

Hi @Jonnerthan,

Hi there,
1 Close all apps running
2 Shut down iPad
3 Restart then run Cubasis, notice no orange blob top right
4 Plug in USB-C headphones
5 Wait a few seconds, then notice orange blob appears
6 Cubase transport and recording now functions correctly

Hope that helps
I’m now running a public beta iOS 14.6 Beta 3 to try and fix this, but just the same as iOS 14.5.1. My machine is iPaD Pro 2nd Generation 2020 1 1 inch.

Thank you for your message.
Unfortunately our engineering is also unable to reproduce your issue.

If possible, please give the issue another check using the latest official iPad OS release version.
If you’re able to reproduce the problem, please create a short clip that shows all steps that lead to the problem.

Please upload the clip via Dropbox or similar and provide us with the download link.
Please make sure to include the full correspondence.

Thank you!

Best wishes,
Lars

Hi Lars

Listing this just one more time:

• It is a 4th generation iPad Pro 12.9 brand new from the Apple shop, bought less than three months ago.
  • running the latest iOS (14.5.1)
    The issue with the play head is happening on EVERY project including new and the demo projects as stated and as shown in the video I posted in this thread on a previous post.
  • Turning off audio engine latency does not fix the issue
  • hard and force resetting (I mistakenly called it a hard reset) does NOT fix the issue.
  • I always close all other apps before using Cubasis.
  • I have deleted and reinstalled Cubasis 3. I have deleted Cubasis2. I do not use any other daw, and do not use other music apps.
  • This issue only occurs when nothing is plugged into the usbc port. - sometimes, when I unplug a usbc cable (either charging, or headphone adaptor, or from my audio interface) the play head will continue to work as normal, other times, it instantly stops working.
  • when the play head won’t work, if I plug something (any usbc cable) into it, and then remove it, I can get it to work - but, as stated in a previous post on this thread, and above , this does not always fix the issue.
  • turning on Bluetooth in Cubasis ALWAYS fixes the issue (note, I do NOT Connect my Bluetooth headphones, and Bluetooth in the iPad settings is turned off)
  • airplane mode makes no difference.

I really don’t know how else to explain the issue, and explain the steps I have found to both fix and cause the problem. I appreciate English is not your first language, but I have repeatedly explained all the steps above……

Thanks
Simon

Hi @Simonsnr,

Thanks for your message.

Please make sure to get back to our previous requests (first was answered).

We did not ask you to list the steps once more. Since we are unable to reproduce the problem, further information is required, to allow our team further evaluating the problem:

• Please provide us with crash reports
  • Please provide us with the project which crashes and/or doesn’t play back

Please upload the files via Dropbox or similar and let me have the download link via private message. Here, please make sure to include the previous correspondence!

Thanks in advance!

Lars

Lars,

I clearly stated several times that the play head issue is on ALL PROJECTS, that means, EVERY project, this includes, new projects, the demo projects, blank projects, projects with one track, projects with several tracks, so, to be clear, it’s on ALL PROJECTS, IT IS NOT ON JUST ONE……I’m so tired of repeating myself. Please please please, can I suggest you carefully read people’s posts before replying to them, this thread has become me just constantly repeating myself in the hope you finally understand, yet time and time again, you seem to deliberately ask me questions that I have clearly answered…is this a wind up, or a way of avoiding addressing the clear issue?
I understand, that you could not replicate the problem, as pointed out by someone else in this thread, it seems like it’s only on the new pros with the usbc port, have you tried replicating this on a usbc ipad?

How many crash reports would you like? There are 42, but, it most definitely hasn’t logged most of the crashes, it crashed six times last night, but there is no crash report from any of those……

Kind regards
Simon

Hi @Simonsnr,

Thanks for your message.

We clearly understand your frustration, but haven’t seen the issue ourselves so far unfortunately.

How many crash reports would you like? There are 42, but, it most definitely hasn’t logged most of the crashes, it crashed six times last night, but there is no crash report from any of those……

Please provide us with all crash reports you have!
Will send you a private message with my Email address.

Thanks in advance,
Lars

Any News on this?
My playhead also stops.
Using latest iPados and cubasis le Version.
Just Figured out when unplugging the Apple usbc to headphone Jack it Runs again. But Not every time.
Really Strange… so Cubasis isnt usable any more

Just another data point but I have also seen the frozen playhead issue a couple of times. I am using an Air 4 and often use Bluetooth headphones. If I manage to find a reliable recreate then I will post it.

Every Time i am Turning ON The Bluetooth / AirPlay Button (Standard is deactivated) it Starts again. There is no difference if i use headphones via usbc or the Build in speakers. The playhead just don’t want to Start anymore in the new constellation. But no crashes…

Sorry, I’m not completely sure what you mean? Most of the time, the play head does not move when I press play, but if I turn the Bluetooth/airplay on in Cubasis’s settings (not in the iPad settings) the play head will work as expected, is this what you are doing? Have you found this fixes the issue? . The problem with this is, because it crashes ALL the time, when it does, Cubasis turns OFF the Bluetooth in the settings, forcing me to have to go back to settings each time……

I was asked to send the crash reports, I asked how many they wanted, as at the time, I had 42 I believe, I was just told again, yes, send us the crash reports….that would have been a BOOKS worth of reports, so I didn’t bother!

Yes, i am doing the Same. And i Need to do it several Times when using Cubasis and i Switch projects.

1 Like

Oh man, that sounds worse than mine then! Mine ALWAYS is fixed as soon as I turn the Bluetooth on, every time without fail, so, though very very annoying, as long as it doesn’t crash, atleast I can use it…… I hope they can find a fix for this, as it’s ruined my experience!

SOLVING THE PROBLEM WITH THE BROKEN START BUTTON This is an iOS problem (since 14.5 ), all applications that use the microphone periodically hang or do not work In the horizontal position of the tablet (pencil on top) There are two ways to solve this problem : 1 - collapse the application, turn the tablet (pencil on the bottom) and open the program. Method 2-Disable access to the microphone in the cubasis settings. P.S. It’s strange that apple has taken so long to fix this problem

Thanks for the Info.
So u will use the workaround and wait for the iPadOS Update :+1:

Hi @fana,

Thanks for your supportive comment, which I’ve also shared with our engineering.

Method 2-Disable access to the microphone in the cubasis settings.

Important: We do not recommend choosing this option, since you probably encounter other issues, such as below:

When you first start Cubase and you get asked if Cubasis can use your microphone you must answer “yes”, otherwise you won’t be able to record anything or use your connected audio interface.

If you tapped “no” by mistake, you can always change this in the settings app of your iPad. There go to Privacy → Microphone and enable the Microphone with Cubasis.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Lars

Yes, I meant to disable access to the microphone in the settings when using synthesizers, and when you need to record sound - turn it on, but only in the tablet position, when the camera is located at the bottom right. Then everything works. Thank you for paying attention, despite the fact that this is a disadvantage of Apple

Hi @fana, Hi all,

Most important:
Please make sure to let Apple know about the problem, to make them aware of it.

Thanks,
Lars

I’m still having this problem with a 2021 iPad Pro 12.9” M1 iPad. I’m using iPadOS 17.0.3. My audio interface is a Zoom AMS-24. The problem, when it occurs, has two presentations: 1) Playhead simply won’t start, and 2) Playhead starts but does not move — just sits there jittering as if there is a very short loop active (but there’s not). Unplugging the USB cable to the audio interface corrects this problem. I have had no full crashes, just this symptom. I would think that in over two years and three iPadOS updates that Apple and/or Steinberg would have identified and fixed this issue.

Hi steinberb_fiddleman,
Have you tried disabling Ableton Link in Settings/Midi ………that’s if it is enabled :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the suggestion, fixitmania53. Unfortunately, it is already off.

Between this issue and the lack of support for tempo changes and any time signature that isn’t based solely upon quarter notes or has more beats to the bar than 7, I think I’ve wasted my money here. I’m going to have to try Logic Pro again. I was hoping for an and-to-end Steinberg workflow, but they aren’t cutting it. I’ve been trying to switch from Apple products to Steinberg products (Cubase /Nuendo 12 and Cubasis 3), but I guess I’m going back to Logic Pro on MacOS, iPadOS and IOS.

Hi @steinberg_fiddleman,

I’m still having this problem with a 2021 iPad Pro 12.9” M1 iPad. I’m using iPadOS 17.0.3. My audio interface is a Zoom AMS-24. The problem, when it occurs, has two presentations: 1) Playhead simply won’t start, and 2) Playhead starts but does not move — just sits there jittering as if there is a very short loop active (but there’s not). Unplugging the USB cable to the audio interface corrects this problem. I have had no full crashes, just this symptom. I would think that in over two years and three iPadOS updates that Apple and/or Steinberg would have identified and fixed this issue.

We are unaware about this problem. Please share a short clip with us, which shows the steps leading to the issue.

Thanks
Lars