Constant crashing with Cubase 11 & Big Sur

Hi there,

On a Macbook 2018. I stupidly upgraded to Big Sur. I was having lots of problems with Cubase 9.5 so I upgraded to Cubase 11. Expensive! Then Waves stopped working. So I upgraded to Waves 12. That was even more expensive.
Now I am getting crashes if I try something as ordinary as using a midi input. I can’t work for more than five minutes without something crashing.
Each crash report says something about memory. For example:
KERN_MEMORY_ERROR at 0x00000001ab6040e8

Hi,

Could you share the source *.crash file, please?

Mac: macOS Console utility > User Reports folder or Crash Reports in macOS 10.15 (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).

Sure. Also, I’m not able to run any session without insane CPU spikes. If that’s useful info? Cubase 11_2021-03-30-151429_roberts-MacBook-Pro.crash (576.0 KB)

bump @Martin.Jirsak

Also, I’m getting recording drop outs, random spikes for seemingly no reason on light sessions. And now I’m getting issues where Cubase thinks it’s still recording after stopping. It might make a small blank looking file instead of a waveform. This is usually before a crash. It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 5.41.38 PM

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Btw, the crash is in the graphics area.

Another interesting thing. If I load a session, it works for about ten minutes. Then it is spiking the CPU all over the place.

Hi,

Could you try in the Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Could you Enable Usage Logging in the Preferences > General, please? If it’s still crashes, could you attach even the relevant Usage log file, please?

Just in case anyone was interested, this was due to Backblaze. Every time it indexed, which was multiple times a day, Cubase would freak out.

1 Like