Continue using Cubase 11?

I work in an education setting and we have Cubase 11 Elements installed in one classroom. I would now like to install it in another classroom using codes we purchased previously but I can only get it to license Cubase 12, it won’t give me an activation code for 11 it just pops up with ‘you are entitled to 12’.

Is there a way to install Cubase Elements 11 still so we have consistency across the classrooms?

Yes, you can always install and run a lower version. If you own a license for v12, you can install any previous available version as long as it is another “Elements”.
If you purchased the v11 licenses during Steinberg’s “grace period”, you automatically got upgraded to v12. If so, you have the option of updating the existing computers to v12 if you so choose, or you can install v11 on the new computers.

I wouldn’t be so sure about this. Version 12 license doesn’t cover previous version. So if version 12 is the only license you have then probably you cannot run older versions with it.

1 Like

Hmm. Perhaps you are right. But OP stated that they bought v11 so I would think they would have access to previous versions as well as v12 if the purchase was made during the grace period.
Maybe best to have a Steinberg representative answer this one.

@mlib
Yes, but @michael.jaskiewicz also states this:

@misohoza Yes, I did read that. I still believe they should have access to the version they purchased. But best to let Steinberg answer this one me thinks.

1 Like

They have: Steinberg Licensing: A New and Exciting Era Begins | Steinberg

I understand this meaning:
You keep a separate C11 license when an activated license is updated, but not when when using an activation code to initially download the license.

After I update to Steinberg Licensing, will I still be able to run previous versions of the products I’ve bought?

Yes, provided you either have your USB-eLicenser connected to your computer, or the Soft-eLicenser containing the license for the previous version of the product is present on the computer. The new Steinberg Licensing system does not apply to versions of our products prior to the first version that uses the new system: so if you buy, say, a new license for Cubase 12 as a brand new customer, you cannot run Cubase 11 or earlier, but if you are an existing Steinberg customer who updates to Cubase 12 from Cubase 11, you can still run Cubase 11 or indeed any previous version of Cubase provided you connect your USB-eLicenser containing the license for Cubase 11.

I think the OP’s only hope here is to contact Support in his country.

Normally, an unused Download Activation Code activates the latest version of the product at the date of activation. This means the unused DACs he has are now for a new purchase of Cubase Elements 12, which will activate only on Steinberg Licensing and will not activate an eLicenser licence for Cubase Elements 11 (and earlier).