Control modulation with aftertouch?

How do I program the Input Transformer so that I can control the modulation with aftertouch?

I want to be able to turn the Leslie on and off by pressing and releasing aftertouch so that I don’t have to use another hand for that.

Thanks

Can you explain , a little, how you would like to actually perform that? I mean, if you simply want to toggle a Leslie switch on and off then aftertouch is hardly the best means anyways (it works just like a continuous controller, so, for example, you’d have to keep pressure maintained on the keyboard’s aftertouch for the whole time you wanted the Leslie to be in fast mode. That would certainly be more of a hinderance to fluid playing than would be taking off one hand to operate a separate controller, e.g. modwheel).
Does your keyboard have a sustain pedal? If so, why not use that instead for toggling the Leslie (there’s no sustain pedal on a “real” organ anyways :wink: )

I could live with keeping the pressure maintained, at this point.

It would be ideal if aftertouch could toggle the Leslie on/off, at a designated pressure.

Any instructions on either method?

Thanks

Presuming you have already a CC# number assigned to switch Leslie speed (say, like N.I. B4 II’s default CC#1=127 for fast and CC#1=0 for slow)
Aftertouch sends a range of 127 values, depending on how hard you press a key on the keyboard. So, the best we could do is use the Input Transformer to convert aftertouch=127 into CC#1=127, aftertouch=0 into CC#1=0, and ignore all intermediary values (which would at least avoid having to keep aftertouch maintained at maximum, so long as you didn’t release it completely :slight_smile: ).
Anyways,
(presuming that you want to end up with transmitting CC#1)…

Upper section…
Type is___Equal___Aftertouch

Lower section…
Value 2___Use Value 1
Type___Set to fixed value___Controller
Value 1___Set to fixed value___1
(don’t forget to switch on the module! :wink: )

You haven’t actually said which virtual instrument you wish to use for the organ (because they are not all controlled the same way)

but here’s a nice variation for N.I’s B4 II which has a function, allowing to use the same controller value to toggle (you activate “T” in the Controller Assignment’s “Mode” column), which would allow you to otherwise not worry about the pressure you are applying to aftertouch, so long as the only time you apply maximum pressure is when you wish to change Leslie speed)…

For that you’d set up Cubase’s Input controller like this…
Same as in the first example, but add a 2nd line in the upper section…
so…
Upper section…
TYpe is___Equal___Afterouch___And
Value 1___Equal___127

Lower section…
Value 2___Use Value 1
Type___Set to fixed value___Controller
Value 1___Set to fixed value___1
(don’t forget to switch on the module! :wink: )

(I’ve just tried that 2nd method on the B4 II (with toggle activated) and in fact it is quite nice to use! :wink: )

(I’m also saying that the “toggle” function depends on the VST Instrument, not the Input Transfromer. I will have a think about it, see if there is any way, using “Last Event” in the Input Transformer… but I have to go out now :wink: )

It might help if you told us what VSTi you are using :wink:

… toggle works also on GSI’s excellent VB3…
In its Global Options menu, set “MIDI CC #64 Function” to “Rotary Slow/Fast Latched”, and in that 2nd Input Transformer preset, just change the bottom line in the lower section to…

Value 1___Set to fixed vaulue___64

This is awesome!
Yes, I have NI B4.
Thank you so much for your detailed help,
Kirk

…and thanks to you too :wink:… having tried it in action myself, it’s a keeper! :slight_smile: