Control Room increases output level!?

Teamwork!

Glad to see this resolved.

It really depends on a lot of things, and normaly it shouldn’t matter.
The reason why older prefs are imported is that users wouldn’t have to rebuild prefs after each update.
Can you imagine the rant if that would be the case.

But after moving prefs from version to version, it can be that some things get screwed up …
So, Neil is correct. If you have the time, then always rebuild your prefs …

Fredo

Cool. I didn’t know that an N6 installation would look at the N5.x folder and rebuild.

Now, let me ask you this:

Is there a way of knowing just which preference caused this problem? I’m asking because it would make sense to just get rid of whatever it is that’s causing the problem so one wouldn’t have to redo everything.

Just inverse the procedure.
Create clean N6 preferences and put back the old ones one by one …

Fredo

Well, it’s sort of the same difference. Either I subtract one by one until the problem is fixed or I add one until problem appears. I was just wondering if anyone had a clue as to which specific one caused the problem exactly so we wouldn’t have to go through this search at all.

In PT land for example a lot of problems can be narrowed down to the DAE folder inside the preferences folder. Trashing/rebuilding that will help and you don’t have to reset your other preferences (stuff like x-fade duration, track coloring preferences etc).

I take it from your answer that you don’t know which file causes the problem.

A warning regarding the About the issue [R-6495] Control Room undesirably modifies…etc.

• If you use the +12 db setting in the Project/Project setup - max volume,
    the reset controlroom preset workaround doesn’t work!
  • You have to use the +6 db setting.

It can be difficult working out what orefs port properly & what ones do not - and with all the changes it is perhaps not unreasonable to never assume anything - even changing the name of something can screw with prefs:

I recently had an issue with a certain plugin that had it’s name changed to a simpler one, yet even though the old version was uninstalled it still appeared in the plugin lists as available. Even weirder, it opened up & worked although if I then inserted an instance using the new name I got a grey GUI and no function. Yet stranger still, if I started with the new one & opened an “old” one, both worked.
It turned out to be a reference to the old named version in the plugin XML file “VSTpluginfo v2.XML” and “vst2xplugins Nuendo.XML” - trashing both of these forced a full rescan and the reference to the old named version was now gone - and cleared up other plugin related trash too.

One word of warning though - trashing these prefs in N6/C7 will result in any custom VST2x plugin paths set in the plugin information window getting removed as well so these will need to be re-added. That little hassle aside, this is a very useful trick if you are having plugin grief

Update…

I can Export Audio Mixdown still in 5.5.5. But In Nuendo 6, I cannot. The settings are the same. Something isn’t jiving here. Holy smokes. I where is my Nikoli Tesla Magic Wand when you need it? laughing