Control room

Hi!
I’ve notice when i monitor my sessions with the control room on it sounds better then when i monitor directly
of on the main strereo output? Not much but enough the stereo image is wider and the dialogue is just the way
i mixed it and but when i do audio mixdow from the stereo output i loose that stereo image and the dialogue is
a bit louder so my mixes sounds different ? So is there a way to do an audio mix down from the the control room output
instead of the main stereo output?

Many thanks!
JFR

Do you have any plugins in the control room ?
Make sure in vst-connections that only the output in the studio tab is connected.

If they sound different then something is definitely wrong with your setup…But if you can’t track down what it is straight away and need to do a mix how you’re hearing it through control room you could always connect the 6i6 spdif out to in and record that.

Do you have the Main mix set to Not connected in Vst Connections when using control room?

Otherwise you may have the signal doubled.

Make sure the stereo output is set to no output in the Connections window otherwise you’ll have double signal if you use the studio output.

Thanks for all your help yes I don’t have the stereo output connected when I use the control room to monitor so there is no doubling of the mix Like I’m saying the difference is not that big but enough to affect my mix !
When.i do a mix down of the mix and re import it in Cubase it’s like I loose a bit of the stereo image and the mono stuff seems a bit louder ?When I listen to the actual session then everything sound like I want it.
So to get exactly what I’m hearing in my session what would the best way to do the audio mixdown? Because when I do a audio mixdown from the stereo out it different ? could it be dithering? So if I do spdif out to spdif in would that acheive that ?
Thanks
JFR

The best way would be to work out what in your setup that is making this happen and fix it. Control Room out and Stereo Out should be identical unless you have something setup wrong or have a plug in control room changing the sound (which you didn’t confirm?)

Because when I do a audio mixdown from the stereo out it different ? could it be dithering?

Are you dithering? What are you using for dither? Where have you got it inserted?
I’d be astounded if you could hear it as anything remotely like you describe.

So if I do spdif out to spdif in would that acheive that ?

It will record the output digitally so theoretically yes…you will record exactly what you hear.

best way would be to work out what in your setup that is making this happen and fix it. Control Room out and Stereo Out should be identical unless you have something setup wrong or have a plug in control room changing the sound (which you didn’t confirm?)

Hi no in the in control room I don’t have any plug ins and everything at 0 and no change made at all I leave it at it’s initial settings ?Maybe because when I do a mixdown I don’t use the real-time bounce ? Should I?

Are you dithering? What are you using for dither? Where have you got it inserted?
I’d be astounded if you could hear it as anything remotely like you describe.

I’m not doing any dithering should I ?

Thanks for the help!

Can you record both outputs and see if they null?

Hi ! How ? When I do the audio mixdown I only have main output 1 and 2 as a choice not the control room output ? Or do you record spdif out to in ? For both settings i will try.

Could the pan law have that effect? Mine is set to -3.5 ?

Thanks

Well if you import the exported mixdown back into Cubase, make sure to disable any plugins on the master bus.
Else you are hearing the signal processed twice.

It shouldn’t make any difference unless you have some plugin that doesn’t like offline render…but could be worth a try just in case.

I’m not doing any dithering should I ?

Probably? Not enough info to answer any better than this…it depends on your project settings, your export format, what will happen to the exported file next. Your best bet would be to read up on it a little.

What is your export settings ?

Hi my export settings are 16 bit 48Khz aiff split file L and R and my session settings are 16 bit 48 Khz pan law -3.5
Thanks for all your help!

I will try all your suggestions
And get back to you

I get somewhat confused thinking too hard about pan law but I suspect the combo of split files and the pan law may be the issue.

If you don’t specifically need split files render stereo which should sound the same regardless.
Otherwise you need to play around with pan law settings for playing these split files back (or possibly for exporting them!?)

NB: There is no -3.5 setting presumably you either mean -3 or -4.5

Grim, you are one of the best trouble-shooters going. I’m just jumping into ask if it is possible for pan law settings between Control Room and Stereo Out to be different? I thought Pan Law was set in Project Settings and applies to the project regardless of whether the CtrlRm is on or off? Also, as was suggested, exporting both and testing to see if the files Null sounds like a good idea. As far as real-time export vs. ITB, per some of the engineers posting here, I’ve come to understand and agree there’s no difference. RT export is only used when an external piece of equipment needs it, like a delay, for example. Anyway, thanks for all your good posts, Grim, and good luck to the OP.

Thanks for the kind words.

you’re correct that the pan law is certainly the same regardless of control room being on or off.
I’m guessing the issue is with re-importing the 2 channels as mono files and panning them again…not that there is any actual difference in what is output by control room or stereo out.

My first test at this point would certainly be to try a stereo export…if this sounds the same when re-imported then the split files and pan law are confirmed as the problem.

Grim, you are one of the best trouble-shooters going. I’m just jumping into ask if it is possible for pan law settings between Control Room and Stereo Out to be different? I thought Pan Law was set in Project Settings and applies to the project regardless of whether the CtrlRm is on or off? Also, as was suggested, exporting both and testing to see if the files Null sounds like a good idea. As far as real-time export vs. ITB, per some of the engineers posting here, I’ve come to understand and agree there’s no difference. RT export is only used when an external piece of equipment needs it, like a delay, for example. Anyway, thanks for all your good posts, Grim, and good luck to the OP.
[/quote]

Thanks I will try the stereo export see if the same and your right I meant -3 pan law. The reason I always do a split file export it’s because every video editor uses avid when they import stereo interleave files the software split them , so I was worried so that’s the reason?
Should I keep sending them splits file or it would be better to send stereo files?

ok I will do the test

Many thanks
JFR

Hi i’m back !
Thanks again here are my finding after doing every possible different kind of audio mix down export settings and to me
'i’m confuse because not much makes sense ! The only thing i was able to null completely was my 1 Khz tone and i will explain
for years i’ve been working like that the only track going directly to the stereo output with no plug ins is my tone, and
for the rest as a master i would create and group track as pre master with all my stereo bus master plug ins routed to my stereo output.And that’s
so knowing this i did moved all my plug -ins to my master stereo ouptut and deleted my pre master group! After i did audio mixdown export of Control room on and off stereo and split files and nothing null all the way i’ve tried every combination possible so and nothing null perfectly ?? So i’m confused! So could it be plug-ins doing this ? But if that is true then it mean you can"t ever get the exact same mix at every export
because the plug-ins are affecting the audio engine differently ? Or could DC offset in files cause this because most OMF i get from
the video editor as DC offset? And for the Control Room monitoring is sound bit different then if i monitor directly from output
like i said before not much but enough ? But the the export audio mixdown of the control room on or off sound the same and the
the same as if i monitor from the stereo ouput ? So to really to know how your mix is going sound in the export is to monitor with the control room off ?
All my export where done no Dither at -3 Pan law.And for the control Room when it’s on my stereo output is not connected but the monitor in the control room is connected ? and no plug in in the control room and at 0 Any help would be great i could supplies files if wanted?

Many thanks
JFR

My first test at this point would certainly be to try a stereo export…if this sounds the same when re-imported then the split files and pan law are confirmed as the problem.

I don’t actually see the answer to this? When importing the STEREO export back to Cubase does it sound the same as playback or not?

I do see you say at one point that the export through control room sounds the same as the one not through control room. So that’s good.

But this statement worries me…hopefully just not exactly what you mean or things get more complex.

And for the Control Room monitoring is sound bit different then if i monitor directly from output
like i said before not much but enough

So do you really mean that what you hear through control room sounds different to switching to stereo out (which would be something you hadn’t said)…or are you just referring to the fact that it sounded different AFTER mixdown and re-import.

Null testing doesn’t work with plugins…I’m afraid you proved/disproved nothing with any of that.