Control zoom with a midi cc (fader, rotary...)

Well, they have access to more controls than the Generic Remote, but it’s unknown what Steinberg allows them to see/configure. It certainly works well- I had a P6 for a while.

Ahahah cool !!! Moi aussi… :wink: :smiley: (tu es francais?)

I knew inside of me that kektar doesnt have that mcu protocol…

I had a nanokontrol1, but (got a small room) i got it off my PC when the P4 arrived. I dont see myself buying the new one for a function i can use alternatively (the akai method).

Nektar’s P4/P6 are top notch midi controllers, especially for Cubase !!!

Yeah exactly, and i hope they will manage to make that zoom in/out knob on the “transport” panel next to the knob…that would be instinctive to have next to each other, the zoom knob and the “move the playhead” knob. It’ll be my tonight’s dream LOL

:smiley: Chuis pas francais, mais j’y habité pour cinq ans… 'y a très long temps maintenant.

The first result when I googled was:
http://www.cubendo.com/archive/index.php/t-31.html

1. Program your endless rotaries on your controller to use RPN Inc/Dec (151), since NRPN isn’t recognised, program them all for RPN, but on different MIDI channels.

2. In Devices/Device Setup/Generic Remote, MIDI Learn (eg) Zoom In and rotate counterclockwise and Out clockwise.

3. Repeat as necessary.

But you have to have endless rotaries, unless I miss your point.

okay, cool !!! you speak it still very nicely !

well okay but like it was said, it’s for specific hardware… Nektar doesnt have no “rpn”, “nrpn” yeah but no “rpn”.
so its exactly like what ive read before coming here bout some hardware that can be configured to do 2 differents midi ccs on 1 knob (clockwise and couterclockwise).
what I was asking as a request (we are in requests/suggestions) is that we can do it whatever the hardware we got or the knowledge in midi/nrpn/etc protocols. Like its very easy to program a shortcut, or to have a generic remote to have a button to do zoom in and another one to do the zoom out.
Having a knob for zoom in and out, or a knob to scroll left or right should not be a pain in the A (lurkin for hours on forum, or debating with people about what is a troll answer :wink: )

Thanks!

(BTW “the 1st result i had” i tell it again, here is no competion or whatsoever…its a forum, we help each other or we shut the **** up… at least to make that point tell what is your google search string… that could be helpful though)

Well it was your attitude from the get go, that turned me off.
Since we now speak in a normal tone, no pun intended, I have no problem telling you what I found. I’m using a Beatstep, and I didn’t imagine that the nectar did not support rpn.
Sorry for that.

my attitude? lol like i say what i think…without ever being insulting. But ok well let bygone be bygone…
i will just explain a thing, so many people on forums tell people “its already been answered” or “just search on the net”…those are not constructive to someone who wanna exchange with humans.
like i said so Steve, im a “people to people” kind of guy…i love to ask question to humans and have interactions with em (even if i do use google a lot before, but not everybody can use google search to be effective). so yeah i come on forums to talk/exchange with people (and when i see someone askin a trick and i dont wanna repeat myself, i will use copy/paste (or link the site where its been answered already), so i can help and not repeat myself completly … or im in no mood and i dont answer at all :wink:

For that problem, i even asked Nektartech, they told me its not possible (so disapointing). But I thought it could be a steinberg option (in generic remote) to have “zoom in” “zoom out” AND a “zoom in/out”…but steve opened my eyes that if people use that last one with a limited knob, it will be a problem, you must have endless encoder (though many many of modern hardware have endless encoders)

So feature request, yeah steinberg could implement that and warn people in the manual (or wherever else) that it wont work properly without endles encoders.

About the Nektar, its a wonderfull midi controller (especially for cubase…and plugins since it doesnt use any plugin wrapper) but here is the 1st thing i can critic is that no incr/decr mode for encoders (like on my Akai MPD). I told them in a mail and will now hope and wait to see if Nektartech can do something about it cause I know SB wont (from personnal experiences with feature requests lol)

Well dont be sorry, its not your fault if Nektar doesnt support rpn… i used cubase for years before, i will survive that stiil…but well zoomin with a knob is sooooooo sweet and instinctive (and i can use the mouse+midi controller without touching to much my keyboard)

For zoom I use a mouse that has tilt on the mouse wheel, assigned G to left tilt and H to right tilt.
That works really well in an qwerty + mouse workspace, but I guess not if you have a midi keyboard in front of you.

I also have some more buttons on my “gamer” mouse…so i programmed some macros or shortcut too, like zoom…
But the knob zooming method is way more natural (imo). I loved when i managed to make it work on my akai (tho my setup is making me croos arms to get the akai knobs if i still use mouse with other hand…so having it on the nektar AND akai could be nice…any hand free can grab a zoom knob)

Zoom on buttons often means pressing x number of time the button, as opposed to the knob. (from full zoom to full dezoom it takes a thousand clicks…not cool)

That’s the beauty of gaming mose, you can assign buttons the key G and H and can hold them for continuous zooming. What I find really useful is assigning buttons for zoom mem and zoom zap in the generic remote.

sure in my “shortcuts” keys on the NektarP4 I made a page for zoom with “zoom full” “zoom cycle” “zoom selection” “zoom undo” “zoom redo” … very usefull

but when i work on audio loops i often zoom near to full, dezoom to check my loop regions, play, zoom again etc etc… and i found myself havin a hand on the mouse and the other on my midi controller for, both, transport buttons and chromatic keys.

thats when i understood i had to try to work with nearly no keyboard, unless i have to write the name of a project or track.