Controller Link for Mapping Plugins to Hardware

Problem Statement: Cubase limits mapping plugin parameters to only 8 Quick Controls, or more parameters, but with only certain pieces of hardware. The Generic Remote doesn’t allow for remote controlling all plugin parameters with all pieces of hardware.

Feature Request: I’d like something like Studio One’s Control Link functionality which works like this:

1. Any hardware controller can be mapped to any and all parameters of a plugin. No limit of 8 Quick Controls, no special hardware required.

2. Mappings are automatically retained and stored with each plugin behind the scenes

3. I’d like the ability to even combine mappings from multiple hardware controllers. Example: map some settings from my Novation Remote Zero SL along with some of the Controls on my Roland System-8 to a single plugin at the same time. [Note: Studio One doesn’t even allow for this.]

4. All mapping should be able to be done from the plugin GUI (i.e. no separate Remote Control Editor screen) - the only time the user should need to go into a different screen is the first time they setup their controller

5. When the plugin GUI is open and has focus - the mapping automatically becomes active - this is “Focus Mode”

If you’re not familiar with it, you can get an idea of how this works by watching one of the many videos on Control Link here: - YouTube

I feel like this would be far superior to Cubase’s current methods for controlling plugins and let users get more hands-on.

2 Likes

This would be awesome!!

+1

Yeah, the biggest pain point for me in transitioning to Cubase from Studio One is how much less “hands-on control” of plugins I can do with Cubase. In S1, I’d get a new compressor plugin, open my old Remote Zero SL, set it to my “generic compressor” template, and map out the plugin parameters to the template on the hardware. We’re talking 16 knobs, 8 faders, and lots of buttons (i.e. way more than 8 Quick Controls). So then, any time I wanted to tweak that compressor, I’d open the GUI, and do it via the hardware. No second setup, no wondering what’s mapped to what. And I had templates for reverbs, EQs, etc. It was very close to working with hardware.

In terms of a “big Cubase Feature Request,” this is top of my list now that we know ARA2 is coming soon. And this doesn’t need to be in lieu of Quick Controls, I have a Steinberg CMC-QC that I like. This could be done in addition to the existing functionality, with what controller is doing what being handled in the MIDI setup.

1 Like

+1

Anything that will bring generic remote and qc up to speed is a huge +++

But you can take full control with the generic remote. It only takes a few months worth of editing xml and mapping out all plugs to all insert slots. Then the most massive banking in daw history to navigate the madness :laughing:

Guess the best quick fix, would be to expand qc to 100+, be able to bank the controls and devide them to toggle and control.

So we get something like assigning 10 knobs and 6 buttons to qc.
And can bank them to control knobs qc 1-10, 11-20, 21-30…
While the toggle buttons do qc 77-82, 83-88, 89-94…

The generic remote needs a lot more love to get up to speed. Here steinberg should redo it from scratch.

Just a silly example, if you want to control the same plugin in all 16 insert slots. You will have to ad the controls 16 times to adress the plugin to all 16 slots. That is just silly. And dont get any better with using the “90s” interface setting it up. And it dosent come without issues, ofthen one must reselect the channel to get the remote to register the loaded plugin. And if you use the same bank and map out the same control 16 times, it might not be fun having the same plugin loaded in to different slots. So one ends up with alot of “what if?” And finaly end up with a lot of extra banks and generic remotes, to tackle different scenarios. It is a mess.

Have a vote! This is probably the thing I’m missing most from Studio One when I’m working in Cubase. Linking parameters to hardware control in reusable ways took way less preparation in S1, and you could use it with any automatable parameter.