Controlling External MIDI devices

Guys,

In a previous version of Cubase (maybe it was 6.0 or so) we had text scripts that defined external MIDI hardware including instruments like the Roland XP-80, Yamaha TG-500, etc. I spent a lot of time building a script for my XP-80 that had 4 expansion cards in it. Lot’s of typing and tweaking. You put these files in a folder (something like this C:\Users\Darren\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 7.5_64\Scripts) and then you would launch the MIDI Device Manager. THe Midi Device Manager would give you the option to install a new device. So if I called my text file script “Darren_XP_80” it would appear in the list.

Somewhere along the way Cubase seems to have changed this. yes there is still a Midi Device manager but when I throw my “Darren_XP_80” text file into the folder from the path C:\Users\Darren\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 7.5_64\Scripts" the Midi Device Manager cannot see my file. Now I’m reading that maybe these files need to be .xml files? But even when I throw a .xml file into this folder I cannot see it. It’s like the MIDI Device Manager only will display the defaults and not anything new that I have added in.

This is killing me. Does anyone have any information on how to get this to work. I have these beautiful .txt instrument definitions that I used to be able to use and now it seems like they don’t work.

Any help would be appreciated.

All the very best,

Darren

Hi Darren,

I can’t believe that this is your 1st post, since you mentioned Cubase 6.0.

Anyway, where are you reading that they may have to be .xml files?

They should read the same, [although if you open a Preferences folder, it is actually an .xml file anyway.]

But I’ve copied Preferences folders from version to version, ie: 7.5.20 to 8.0.10, and most if not all carried right over.

But I’m curious where you may have read that or came up with that impression.

jamusic,

It’s my first post since I changed email accounts. I’ve been using Cubase since version 3 maybe? Are you saying from your experience that the .txt files should work? I’ll have to search around for my recollection of the .xml files. I just bought a bunch of older hardware that is now so affordable and want to use those greaty sounds. I will be buying MIDIQuest soon and that should alleviate all of these issues.

Thanks for the reply,

Darren

Hi Darren, I believe they’ll all have to be .xml files.

I don’t recall seeing any .txt files there.