Controls in the Inspector column stop presponding

Ok, so I pull up Cubase today and pull up a project I haven’t worked in about a week and I realize that almost nothing is responding when I click on it in the portion of the screen I’ve highlighted below with an orange box and a question mark:

I say almost nothing is responding because every now and then, like if I reload the project or load a different project(this is happening in all my projects) the first time I click on something in that area it might give a flicker of response. For instance you’ll notice the FX 1-REV send level in the screenshot is at -infinity, this is because I clicked on that level immediately after reloading the project and it did respond just long enough to change it from the value it was set at previously, but that was all I could get it to do, it would not respond after that. It’s almost responding like a flashlight with dead batteries where if you shake it for a minute or let it sit then hit the switch you might get a flicker of light then it’s dead again.

Or sometimes I can hover over something like the Equalizer Curve preset management icon and it will respond but usually not. Trying to click on something like the Inserts or any other header to expand or contract it absolutely will not respond. One thing that does seem to respond is the bypass button for each header but that is the only thing that responds consistently. Like I said, weird and really dumb and I just can’t figure it out. Anyone got an idea?

Update 6/29/12:
System specs:
Windows 7 Professsional 64-bit
Cubase 6.5.0 build 102 64-bit
Interface: Edirol FA-101 FireWire
using only Cubase plugins
once the issue starts(which is unpredictable) it persists through Cubase restarts and across all projects. A Windows restart resolved the issue in my case as it did in these case:

I rebooted Windows and the problem went away. That’s cheesy and lame and disappointing behavior from a $500 piece of software. I hope I don’t ever have to reboot my machine during a recording session because everything in the inspector column stops responding :confused: .

This issue has been around since at least the last quarter of 2011. Do we have access to Steinberg’s bug tracking? How can we ensure the developers know about issues like this?

Here’s what you need to do: Steinberg Forums
And, ofcourse, system specs are essential for anyone to have any decent response to someone else’s problems.

You mean on your computer, or confirmed by somebody else…?

You have let them know and they will probably look at it.
If the problem continues then contact support as it doesn’t seem to be a widespread problem.
I think it’s probably related to that plugin that you have blinking there.
A standard way of curing mystery problems is to trash your Cubase (and a lot of other software too) preferences.
Using words like “cheesy and lame” etc. do not go a long way to getting problems fixed that are probably quite fixable at your end.
I can sympathise. I have just had an evenings boxing match with my computer and Cubase and all along it was my changing a USB connection that needed to be fixed.

If the problem continues then contact support as it doesn’t seem to be a widespread problem.

I’m not the first to encounter it and it’s been reported here at least a few times and it’s at least a nine or ten month old problem:

I think it’s probably related to that plugin that you have blinking there.

That plugin, the only one loaded in the project, is Steinberg’s own REVerence, so I’d hope it’s not an issue with the plugin. And as I explained, it wasn’t just that send that wasn’t responding, everything from the Inspector on down to send, inserts, all the way down that column wouldn’t respond except for bypass and a few other little things here and there.

A standard way of curing mystery problems is to trash your Cubase (and a lot of other software too) preferences.
Using words like “cheesy and lame” etc. do not go a long way to getting problems fixed that are probably quite fixable at your end.

That’s cheesy as hell. Name one other program where a user would be expected to trash a config file to make it work properly because I can’t remember ever encountering that. What xml files am I supposed to delete exactly to make the program work as designed?

Sorry:

The issue as I encountered it is intermittent and unpredictable so if I tried provided repro steps it would look a bit like an Underpants Gnomes action plan.

I’m not the first to encounter it and it’s been reported here at least a few times and it’s at least a nine or ten month old problem:

Steinberg Forums > … 19&t=16430

viewtopic.php?p=115258

Only once, not a few.
And when you found that presumably you also found the fix suggested to the OP.
You trashed your preferences? What happened?
But still it doesn’t affect thousands more users. On any problem that looks serious it’s best to go through your system checking all connections and open up and check for loose cards (they can and do back off the connecting pins).
An unresponsive Cubase is usually caused by external forces like a bad sound card driver which may need reinstalling or a faulty soundcard (most likely) or other component or hard drive corruptions.
What is happening is somethng that Cubase needs to function has gone awry and taken with it Cubase’s internal connections that it needs to control the interface (ie: the Inspector in your case). That serious is more likely to be a hardware driver to my mind.
I have built a few Cubase DAW computers along with several friends who do the same over the years so I do talk with a certain amount of experience of both mine and theirs.
Intermittent could also relate to heating (fans?) problems or even that your computer just needs a clean up and defrag.
And test your hard drives even if they are new.

OK, now, if you want it fixed, at least

1. Change topic title to one that reflects the actual problem.
  2. Provide system specs.
  3. Try to find the circumstances of when it happens.
  4. Report back if trashing preferences helps or not.
    If a common denominator can be found by people having the same issue, it might lead to something useful towards fixing it. As it stands, we don’t even know your Cubase version.

From: Can't load plugins on saved projects - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Post by BenjaminCS » 25 Jan 2012 17:41
Just an update if someone has that problem.

I restarted the computer (or rather, a power outage forced it on me), and the problem is solved. Trashing the preferences did not work. I have restored the original c:\Users[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg folder unchanged and it works now. Only rebooting the computer worked.

Post by jaslan » 25 Jan 2012 19:12
This happened to me once. My solution was:
Unplug all MIDI devices.
Can’t remember if I trashed the preferences or not. In your case, I would try first without trashing them and then, if that doesn’t fix it, try again and trash the preferences.
Restart computer.

Post by ca1977a » 21 Mar 2012 22:07
Hello
For any Windows users: I found this problem went away when I rebooted my PC. Resetting preferences to defaults from within Cubase, as one or two people have previously suggested, didn’t work for me, and neither did deleting the preferences on disk (the XML files in the application data folder).

I don’t think I particularly get this problem when creating new tracks - it’s happened a few times and so far I haven’t spotted any pattern.

Post by Guest » 23 Jan 2012 22:40
“Trash Prefs, see sig.”

From: http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16430

Post by robertire » 16 Dec 2011 06:01
Im running 6.0.5. I reset the defults on the preferences and it worked! Wow, I’ve been trying to figure it out for weeks now.

Post by djaychela » 15 Dec 2011 10:18
I had never seen this before, until this morning. Two students I am teaching both had it happen - the Inspector sticks with some sections open, others closed. Closing Cubase does NOT solve the problem, it seems to stick with a given project.

And when you found that presumably you also found the fix suggested to the OP.
You trashed your preferences? What happened?

No, I rebooted my computer to resolve it, see my second post.

But still it doesn’t affect thousands more users. On any problem that looks serious it’s best to go through your system checking all connections and open up and check for loose cards (they can and do back off the connecting pins).
An unresponsive Cubase is usually caused by external forces like a bad sound card driver which may need reinstalling or a faulty soundcard (most likely) or other component or hard drive corruptions.
What is happening is somethng that Cubase needs to function has gone awry and taken with it Cubase’s internal connections that it needs to control the interface (ie: the Inspector in your case). That serious is more likely to be a hardware driver to my mind.
I have built a few Cubase DAW computers along with several friends who do the same over the years so I do talk with a certain amount of experience of both mine and theirs.
Intermittent could also relate to heating (fans?) problems or even that your computer just needs a clean up and defrag.
And test your hard drives even if they are new.

Thanks for the suggestions, of course with any difficult to reproduce issue hardware may be suspect, still I’ve updated my original post to make it more useful for developer or user reference.

Thanks, I updated the original post.

I still don’t know exactly what “trashing preferences” entails. By my last count there are 20 xml files in \User\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg. Is this where we are supposed to trash our xml files(lol) or some other directory and which files in particular?

Hi

I still don’t know exactly what “trashing preferences” entails

But your on the right way
Here some details :wink:

How to delete preferences if cubase doesn’t start.
Windows: Delete Folder C:\Users"Your User Name"\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/removing-the-preferences-of-the-sequencer/kb_back/2025.html
Details of the preferences

Greetz Bassbase

Cheers changing the title. It will probably encourage some more helpers to join in.