convert cc16 Midi data to Pitchbend - is this possible?

I am quoting a question and response from a Korg forum asking this question. I have not been able to contact the person that replied.
That is why I am asking the question here in the Cubase Forums.

QUESTION:
I’m trying to figure out how to use the ribbon controller on my Triton Studio to send pitch bend messages to a soft synth.

Is this possible?

ANSWER:

Cubase allows you to convert incoming Midi data from one number to another so for instance i can use the Ribbon to send out cc16 Midi data and have Cubase translate this in realtime to another CC number,but its doesnt allow for the conversion of PB messages,that needs to be done in another function availible on cubase.

I want to use the Ribbon Controller on my Triton Studio for Pitch Bend in a Guitar VI from MusicLab called RealLPC.
Unfortunately RealLPC uses cc16 for another function in its processing.
Is there a function in Cubase (7.0.7) that will allow me to convert the cc16 midi data being transmitted by my Korg TS so that the RealLPC software interprets it as Pitchbend data?
If so, what is it and how can i do it?
thx.

Yes, this can be done, (in realtime) using the Input Transformer, or after recording, using the Logical Editor.
But you first have to decide how you want the data to be transformed… I presume that the Korg’s CC#16 transmits values from 0 to 127, so do you want the pitchbend to be bi-polar, with zero pitchbend when the ribbon is at center position, or would you rather have zero pitchbend when the ribbon is at zero itself?
(It’s bedtime here now, so I’ll leave it until you reply to that question before explaining how to set up the Input Transformer… but it is indeed possible :wink: )

Hi Vic,
This is such great news.
Yes, CC#16 sets values from 0 to 127.
Well I think I want the pitchbend to be bi-polar.
This is the performance I want to be able to mimic and it looks like Jeff Abbott is using that procedure.

I know it is going to take quite a bit of effort to get a quarter of the quality of that performance but I want to be able to edit the performance afterwards
(just in case) to fix it in the mix. :wink:

Thanks so much for responding.
ciao, Dan

Is the Triton’s ribbon itself bi-polar, and does it default to center position when you take your finger off it?
And, are you certain that the ribbon is transmitting CC#16 by default? (I just had a quick look at the Triton pdf, and couldn’t really find that info)
Could you please try the following test?..
With the Triton as incoming MIDI, record-enable a MIDI tack in Cubase, then, when in Record, run your finger over the ribbon controller then release it.
Stop record, then open the newly-created MIDI Part in the List Editor.
What is the last thing you see recorded in the list?

(Seeing as how MIDI CC#s are mono-polar, and you want to convert to bi-polar, we need to ensure that the ribbon defaults to CC#16=64, so that pitchbend is zero when the ribbon is untouched).

Anyways…
the attached screenshot of the Input Transformer will convert incoming CC#16 into bi-polar pitchbend, but, as I hinted above, zero pitchbend is attained at the center of the incoming CC# value (CC#16=64), so, when CC#16=0, the pitchbend will be at max pitch down, and when CC#16=127, it will be at max pitch up. That means that if your ribbon controller doesn’t reset to center when you release it, you’l have difficulty resetting the pitchbend to zero.

[EDIT] I have replaced the original attachment with the later one that I uploaded in a later post (i.e. they are now both the same)

So, I suggest trying that first, then let’s see what needs refining afterwards :slight_smile:

Is the Triton’s ribbon itself bi-polar, and does it default to center position when you take your finger off it?

YES

And, are you certain that the ribbon is transmitting CC#16 by default? (I just had a quick look at the Triton pdf, and couldn’t really find that info)
Could you please try the following test?..
With the Triton as incoming MIDI, record-enable a MIDI tack in Cubase, then, when in Record, run your finger over the ribbon controller then release it.
Stop record, then open the newly-created MIDI Part in the List Editor.
What is the last thing you see recorded in the list?

(Seeing as how MIDI CC#s are mono-polar, and you want to convert to bi-polar, we need to ensure that the ribbon defaults to CC#16=64, so that pitchbend is zero when the ribbon is untouched).

Controller – CC 16 – 64

**I should also explain that I made recording tests:

1. with a Korg internal Patch
  2. with the MusicLab RealLPC VI guitar
  3. with Amplesound AGT VI guitar

With all three the List Editor showed the same results.
    That is, CC#16 was being activated by each instrument.
    This was also confirmed by looking at each one in Key Editor and changing the Controller Lane from Velocity to GenPurp cc16.

However, the only instrument where I did hear the pitchbend during playback was the internal Korg patch.

Let me know if you need any other information.**

Well , that’s good news :wink:, and I think the Input Transformer should work ok… here’s an even simpler version…

I’m guessing that is completely normal… inasmuch as i suppose that the korg is pitchbending when it receives CC#16, and the other two are expecting to receive regular pitchbend data. (Try them, using the 2nd screenshot of the Input transormer :wink: )

Never used Input Transformer before.
Tried to define a new Preset but could not do it.
Saw another topic with your input and tried looking for the file in the … Input Transformer subfolders but couldn’t find one.
So I copied one from the Controller Filtering folder out to another folder, appropriately renamed it and put it back into that folder.
Then I set up the exact parms as in the jpg but the CC#16 data was not transformed to PB.
In other words when I recorded, the Midi data still appeared in the GenPurp cc16 lane.

Do I need to do anything else in order to activate the new (Transform) filter???
btw, as long as the Track is triggered to Record, when I play a note and slide my finger along the ribbon I should be hearing the PB, is that correct?
Any ideas?

Yes… you didn’t switch on the module! :wink: (the switch on the left of the tab for Module 1)

Btw, use the parameters shown in that later screenshot (it is simpler, but should work just as well :wink: )

Dah!!! :laughing:

Btw, use the parameters shown in that > later > screenshot (it is simpler, but should work just as well > :wink: > )

2nd Jpg works on both VI Guitars.
Not only that, it converts the 0-127 range of CC#16 to the 0 -16383 range of Pitchbend in the PB Controller Lane in Cubase. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much Vic.
ciao, Dan