Converting 3/4 to 9/8

I am working on a piece that was originally written in 3/4 but all the eighth notes are triplets and IMHO should have been written in 9/8. What would be the best (least painful) approach to converting this to 9/8? I asume it is just to use insert mode, delete the triplets and extend all the the other notes appropriately but this seems quite tedious for a 120 measure piece.

1 Like

So far this is the best method within Dorico.

Arguing for the other side, constant triplets are not so hard to read if the repetitive 3s are not needed (as in piano music). Can you post a sample few bars?

You can select the whole passage, filter for tuplets and delete them in one go with insert mode on.

Jesper

1 Like

Grinch here: I advise against insert mode, at least if there is any complexity to it, especially multiple voices. Far more reliable to re-input in the corrected meter. Tedious but safe.

3 Likes

Fortunately, I don’t have to deal with triplets too often, or converting material to a different meter. These operations are always troublesome for me. I realize there are many complications, but given how elegant Dorico is in almost every area, the handling of triplets seems uncharacteristically difficult. I can’t think of a better way, but do triplets really have to be this hard to use?

Well, where are they easier? I suppose a midi sequencer can scale all the notes (and the spaces between them) by a factor of 1.5 or whatever. It would be very useful if Dorico could do such a thing, but currently it has problems even just doubling with multiple voices and rests.

1 Like

I’m not sure triplets are hard to use, especially considering that the same processes apply equally to tuplets of any complexity, including nested tuplets and tuplets that span barlines.

1 Like

That’s a huge problem IMHO. we can all appreciate the fact that Dorico tries to be open-ended, handling the most bizarre of experimental constructs. In the real world, I’d wager far greater than 99% of tuplets are triplets placed on a beat, not spanning bars, with no nesting. Why does it have to be so difficult to do the simple case? And then getting out of triplet mode ought to also be a one-keystroke thing.

There are two main scenarios: entering a new line, and changing an existing line to add (or remove) triplets. I’ll leave that second case alone because there are a lot of variations and it is already halfway off topic for this thread. But for the simple case of entering a new line of music, consider the first measures of West Coast Blues:
WCB

After entering the first 6 notes, you need to switch to triplets. This really ought to be a single keystroke. Ideally, it should be a different keystroke to start triplet 8ths, quarters or half notes so that I don’t have to change to 1/8 notes AND also change to triplets. But you can’t do ANY of that, as far as I can tell. If you use the buttons in the panel at the left, and if the last tuplet you selected was a triplet, then you can take your hand off the keyboard and click that icon. If you want to do it entirely on the keyboard, you have to press ; then enter 3:2 into the popover. That’s an awful lot of work for something that comes up so commonly.

Why can’t we have the option to set keycommands for the most important operations (start 1/8 note triplet, start 1/4 note triplet, start half note triplet, end triplet mode)? None of this is available in keycommands anywhere as far as I can tell.

Hi @cparmerlee
You can use for this the Script menu to record a Macro, and then assign via the OS a shortcut to the new created menu item for this Macro:

-In Dorico start a new project (for example via Hub, a Solo Piano)
-go to Write Mode
-menu Script/Start Recording Macro
-click on the eight note symbol
-click on the 3:2 symbol
-menu Script/End Recording Macro
-give a name (in this case for example create eight triplet) and save
-the macro appears now under the Script menu
-in macOS you can assign a shortcut to this new created macro under System Settings/Keyboard/Keyboard shortcuts/App shortcuts, click the +, choose the App (Dorico) and write the exactely text of your recorded macro, in this case: create eight triplet, assign a custom shortcut (for example control+option+command+3), click Done twice.

Now when you need an eight triplet in your music in Dorico, activate the caret, press your shortcut (or choose the macro in the Script menu) and voila you have your eight triplet that you can fill how you like. :slight_smile:

You can create macros and the system shortcuts for all the tuplets that you need most.

I hope I explained clearly.

1 Like

Thanks. I will try that. I use Windows. Can’t I assign the macro in Dorico keycommands?

But really, this is such a basic and common thing that it ought to have keys assigned for this purpose at the factory.

For Windows you could try autohotkey dot com

In Dorico, the created Macros appear in the Jump Bar (if you type the name that you assigned to the Macro). Unfortunately it seems that Dorico doesn’t allow to assign an alias to them because they don’t appear in the Key Commands window…
It would be nice to have the created Macros to appear in the Key Commands (for non Mac users), and I would ask this as feature request to @dspreadbury

Right. I was able to create the macro, which works fine, but I see no way to trigger the macro with a single key press. I don’t want to clutter my system with other products that may introduce other problems. Certainly if the individual scripts appeared in the list of available keycommands, that would be a decent solution. I was not able to invoke the script from the jump bar. When I recorded the macro, it would not allow me to save it to the folder that was set in the SaveAs.