Converting a Montage From 44.1k to Higher [ideas]

I think a decimal point can’t be accepted, since that would mean somewhere between two samples.

PG, I tried your method and it seems like it would work, but I was still left with the clips being wrong after recalculating all the . So I then recalculated all the and , and now musically everything’s exactly correct, but the time scales are all wrong. There’s a musical edit I did at the yellow marker in the 44.1 (removing 8 bars), and that recreated itself in the 96k perfectly. The drops in the envelopes are not audible, but I don’t know what else to recalculate to change those. (or to make the time scales right).

Indeed, the time ruler sample rate is encoded in a special way. The easiest way to do this would be this:
change the audio sample rate, from WaveLab, using this dialog:
2014-07-27_12-58-52.png

1. change it to anything other than 96k, then close the dialog.
  2. change it again to 96k.
    Does it work now?

Sorry PG, I was out of commission. Your fix probably does work, but I’ll have to try again a little later.

What I did find out after doing the XML stuff, was that this might work much more easily with the AES-31 export and import. because it seems to store the numbers differently (?). It might not be as exactly exact down to the sample (it might just be to the millisecond, I don’t know), but I think it works much more easily.

Export AES-31. Open the AES-31 exported file in a TextEditor. Change the Sample Rate from S44100 to S96000 (or S48000 or S88200). Change all the soundfile name references in the AES file to point to your 96k (or 88 or 48) soundfiles (which you could do with a “find and replace” or manually). Save and close the AES-31 file and import into Wavelab. I ‘think’ it works perfectly, and does all the edits, level envelopes, fades, etc. from the 44.1 as they should be, but I’ll try it again later to make sure.

I only tried this in old Wavelab, and I think I needed to de-select all the AES “create fade files” stuff to keep the clips as they should be.

Yes you’re right. Toggling the montage sample rate makes the timeline, clip timings, and cd track timings all correct. So I still only have the weirdness with the volume envelopes. Don’t know if you noticed, but there are what appear to be volume or pan envelope drops halfway through each clip. But they have no effect. Playing the audio through those points nothing changes. But the drops shouldn’t be there, and I don’t know what else to recalculate in the XML to get rid of them. They appear to be where the clips originally truncated before I did the final replaces of and .

It still sounds like the quickest and most trustworthy way is to do “save as…” to a new montage and change it to the desired sample rate, use “replace audio file…” for each song/clip to import the correct new sample rate versions and then manually enter the new clip start/end and pregap times to match the times from the original 44.1k session.

I can carefully do it in about 5 minutes for a full-length album. Unless somebody can develop a super easy automator script, I think it’s sill most reliable to do it manually until a proper solution is developed in WL9.

I think the proper solution should be to “create duplicate alternate sample rate montage”, followed by selecting the desired sample rate, and then asking where the proper sample rate files are.

Once that is done, ideally a new montage opens with all track IDs, edits, markers, automation etc. are intact and resemble the original montage. Basically, no need to alter anything to achieve a usable mirror image of a montage at a new sample rate.

You should try the AES-31 just to see how it works. From what you said, “asking where the proper sample rate files are”, your files would have to have the same names, but be in different folders.

That’s an easy find and replace into the AES-31. With the AES-31 open in TextEdit, just copy the path of one of the soundfiles at the bottom, then go to the Edit menu - Find and Replace,

paste that path in the Find box:
/users/jp/desktop/project/44
and the new path in the Replace box:
/users/jp/desktop/project/96

Click Replace All and you’re done.
(except for changing the sample rate near the top of the AES-31).

but there are what appear to be volume or pan envelope drops halfway through each clip

Right. Unfortunately this time I have no trick to give you. The information to change is too much embedded inside the XML file.

In the meantime, it would be nice if the clip times could be copied and pasted from the 44.1k montage to the new higher sample rate montage, but right now, they have to be manually edited and the method of entering new times is not very friendly which is what makes it not a fast process.

If it were a matter of chaining the montage sample rate, importing new correct sample rate files and a quick copy and paste of all clip times that would not be so bad.