Converting ALL's to CPR files

Ok i’ll give that ago , i thought i had tried this last night but will give it another go chers

You sir are an absolutely genius , now the licenser looks like this . just the 4 hour reboot and off we go , if you were close to hand id give you a big smacker on the forehead :wink:
I really do appreciate all the time and effort Dr Strangeloeverrrrrr :wink:

errr…thanks :slight_smile:

good luck with those zip drives. My (unasked for!) advice is get that stuff off those drives as soon as. poss. They weren’t particularly reliable in the day but 20 years in storage …etc etc.

Excatly what i intend to do , straight on to reliable thumb drives , i think you have just helped me to have the best Christmas (musically )in nearly 27 years , there are some great concepts on these disc’s . Once again many thanks matey , wouldn’t of made it without ya . Now the work begins :wink:

Happy hols

1 Like

Whats more remarkable is the tech ive been trying to load SX3 on , top of the range first gen XP tablet with 500mb ram and 2gb harddrive back from 2006 , so now i have a portable conversion tablet :wink: She works ,thanks to you sir :wink:

1 Like

Hi Parrotspain - do you mean to say that Cubase SX3 simply converts the .all file to a .cpr file, and then you can open that new .cpr file in a current (or at least semi-current) Cubase? If so, how does it access what I assume is the arrangement (.arr) file? Thanks in advance…

Yes you can convert ARR and ALL files to open in the latest Cubase

You don’t need the audio files to do this, for example you could send me an old song file, I could convert it and send it back.

Method:
Open SX, create temporary new project. eg. folder on Desktop.
Use File, Import, Cubase Song or Arrangement.
If you have audio files, locate them, if not, ignore.
Once loaded, Save As (new file name), this will be a .cpr
Open in recent Cubase, use file location prompt to locate audio files.
Good practice is to then Backup Project to a new folder which collects all required files together and discards anything in the pool, but not in the arrangement.
Confirm everything is ok and delete temporary folders.

That would be awesome if we could do that. I apologize but I can not for the life of me figure out how to DM you (I’ve spent more time on this forum searching that than searching “file conversion”). How can we proceed?

I am not sure how PM works, but I just clicked on your name, clicked on mail icon and a text box opened up.

I would still like to know how you managed to get Sx working on Win 10 , i think the only way possible would be load Sx before installing the latest elicencer as i’ve tried disabling the dongle in the device manager to stop the licencer from booting up but i still get the same error message , as you say it’s trying to install the old version of the licencer and stops . Im too much of a coward to upset mysystem and uninstall the licencer just to find out :smiley:

On Windows, install SX on a different machine (or VM like VirtualBox, or an unwitting friend’s machine), then zip up and copy the SX folder from Program Files to your Windows 10 machine, unzip, and run the exe. Don’t install anything on the Windows 10 machine.

Ahh ok , so the install i have on my xp machine will IF i copy everything across will work on Win 10 without installing ? uuumm interesting

Exactly – in my experience at least, it works well enough to be able to convert old projects.

Ok , thanks for that , might give it ago , nothing to loose it that case

Dear Parrotspain, I am a fellow musician trying to rerelease an album that I recorded 25 years ago. I’d like to rework some of the arrangements and for that reason would need to convert some .all files into .cpr. It worked for some files, but some songs are just incomplete when I do that. I am using SX3. I cannot find a licence for SE 3, neither second hand or from Steinberg directly. Might I take you up on your offer to convert me an .all file?

I cannot see any PM field, maybe because I am new to the forum? Would you mind starting a private conversation with me so I can reply?

Thanks so much,
MetalMaxx

Hi, I have just seen this. I’ll respond somehow tomorrow.

P