Converting .arr files in sx 3.1 doesn't work

Probably not what’s happening here, but I will mention it anyway.
I did a conversion many years ago, it appeared empty at first. But after looking at the project preferences I noticed the project being over 6 hours long.
Most of the content started somewhere (4min song) in the middle, some tracks at random time.
I guess my project was just corrupted, being stored on a disintegrating DVD.

I like the way you think! Unfortunately not in this case, the import of the OP’s test file does not show any tracks, even after doing a “zoom full”. As they are only arrangements (.arr files), the length of the project they are imported into is at the default value.

Ahh…might be incorrect memory on my part but isn’t there an extra issue with Atari derived files? Didn’t they have to opened in an earlier version of Cubase, saved again and then imported into SX?

I’m sure I remember something extra…I still have some Atari .arr files around I think, will check when I get a chance.

Try the attached .cpr …
VEMOD.zip (9.94 KB)

WOW!!! - thank’s man! :slight_smile:
How did you do it ???

I got to thinking about the oldest version of Cubase I have access to, and, although the Atari ST is still out in the woodshed, I wasn’t sure I could get it working again and didn’t have the old dongle either. Luckily a lockdown attic clearout had revealed a box with my earliest Windows version, namely Cubasis VST 5, which dates back to the days when Steinberg was owned by Pinnacle. I also had an old laptop with Windows XP and the rest was easy, I loaded your .arr and the tracks appeared, saved it as .all, imported it with SX3 and saved it as .cpr which then loaded into Cubase 10.5.20

So somewhere between the “VST 5” and “SX” generations, Cubase lost a compatibility with .arr files from the Atari era.

Excellent, I thought I’d heard something like this before so nice to have it confirmed …firstly so I know I know I’m not going crazy but more importantly so we now know there’s a route back to those old Atari. .arr files.

Nice one, thanks for sharing the way you did it.

Very nice work - thank’s again :slight_smile:
I have some old Cubase VST installs, but I can’t install them on win 10, even in compatibility mode. They stop at installing the fonts.
Maybe because the font directory is write protected ?
Any idea how to solve this ?

As far as I can remember I was still on Windows 98 when using VST 5. I was able to install it on an old XP machine but didn’t really test it beyond the loading and saving of .arr files. I’d imagine it’s too old for any newer versions of Windows to deal with, however in Windows 10 Pro you can activate the Hyper-V feature which would allow you to creat a virtual machine onto which you could load .e.g. Windows 98 or XP. Unfortunately that’s not a trivial undertaking if you’ve never done it before, and I wouldn’t recommend installing Hyper-V on a DAW.

By far the easiest option would be to borrow an old XP machine.

I found an old VST 3.7 on my old CD backups. It runs in win 10, and loads the .arr files correctly, , so all is well!
Thank’s again for your help MrSoundman - I would never have found out without it.
Best wishes Mads

Great news! We all learned a couple of important tips here:

1. Archive everything! You never know when you might need it.
  2. It’s no good having backups and archives, unless the software to read them is also archived!

Dear all, I have the same issue, found an iso of the v3.7 but cannot run it. I get the error msg that the Mrosm32.dll is missing. Can anybody help? Maybe the iso is just crap… so the installer would be very helpfull.
So now I am a step further and need the mros432.dll…

so far… any idea??

I have it and can send it to you, but I’m not sure it will help.
If not, there are other solutions :slight_smile:
Where can I send it to ?
Mads

Hi Mads,

pls send it to hudiluma(ad) gmx . de. What other options do you mean/know???

thx
Kai

I’ve got an old xp laptop, what version of cubase can I download to convert arr and song files. No cubase sx install on steinberg site only upgrade files to latest version

Did you look here?

Thanks for the info. I still have my old Atari ST with cubase, is there an option in there to save to a different format that the newer cubase can read?

It’s been a few years since I sat behind an Atari. :wink:
However, I would be surprised if Cubase 1 (or Pro 24 for that matter) didn’t have the option to export MIDI files (.mid). MIDI files can be imported in any version of Cubase.