converting Cubase 2.2 project files to Cubase 5

I have just bought a copy of Cubase essential 5.

When I tried to open some old Cubase 2.2 project files (from my son’s time training as a sound engineer) they were refused with a message that simply said Cubase 5 couldn’t handle them.

Is it possible to convert these files and load them into Cubase 5? If so how can someone tell me how please?

Hm, probably try:

Steve

Thanks for the idea, but no luck regrettably. The Cubase 2.2 project file I am trying to use is a .cpr already. All the same I tried using Cubase 3 to convert it. I had no problem getting Cubase 3 to open, display and process it, and then save a new version as a .cpr file. However when I try to open that version in Essential 5 I get the message (please excuse my french - I work in that language) “Project … est Cubase SX version 3.1.0. Version 5.1.1 de Cubase Essential ne peut pas le charger” Which translates as “Project … is Cubase SX version 3.1.0. Version 5.1.1 of Cubase Essential cannot load it”. Door slammed!

Any ideas please?

The simple thing is Essential 5 won´t open SX / Cubase or SL / Studio version project files. If you want to do that, you need to upgrade to at least Studio ( I think)
Also check this thread. Also provides a link to the compatibility chart…