Converting mono audio track to stereo track

I have upgraded to Cubase 10.5. Is there a way of converting a mono vocal track to a stereo track? The purpose is to double and thicken the vocal track.

Appreciate your help.

I usually do this in one of a couple of ways:

a) Duplicate the track - to get 2 mono tracks that can then be processed differently, for instance give one track a very short delay and a tiny pitch and EQ tweak.

or B) Render in Place - to give a stereo track to which stereo processing can be applied.

if you want to double and thicken vocals I’d say that duplicate track and create harmonies from your original track will give better results. Converting a mono to stereo really doesn’t make a lot of sense unless you want the exact same signal in L and R channel. Also, I would recommend to send your mono track to a stereo group and add stereo reverb on there.

There are plugins that can help you like Soundtoys micro shift vst among many others.
but honestly this is no easy fix for what you are trying to achieve - it is an art that engineers use years and years to perfect.

Go to youtube and get a jump start on great tips and tricks.

It all depends on what kinda music you are making for which techniques work best but take a look at this guy - he has a lot of good tips on vocal recording and mixing (even if he don’t use Cubase it is all transferable to our DAW)

https://www.youtube.com/user/reidiculousremix/featured

Thanks Ian and Glenn

+1, this can work wonders where all else fails (especially if you get it when on sale!), but the methods suggested above are more flexible and you’ll learn more in the process as well. So, for free, try as suggested, just duplicate the track, route them both to a stereo group, play with panning, try different treatments on both source tracks, and try your stereo effects on the group track etc.

Here’s another good article that explains the basics: Classic Stereo-widening. This explains the general approach limited only by your imagination. Another idea from Mike Senior: How can I achieve a wider vocal sound?. You don’t have to own the effects mentioned in these articles, by the way, or over-priced so-called emulations of them – you can often duplicate the components of the sound using stock plugins in Cubase.

[Here’s another good article that explains the basics: Classic Stereo-widening.
[/quote]

Thanks MrSoundman