Cool Logic Feature - export comp to new track

In Logic there is a cool feature that once you comp together a take from multiple lanes, you can “export comp to new track” which will take just those chunks that were used from each take and move them to a new track.

Whats great about this feature is say you’re comping together a vocal track, and you know you are going to want to comp together a double as well. Once you have your main vocal comp completed, If you use this “export comp to new track” function, it leaves everything that was NOT used in the main vocal comp, so you can comp together a double from all the left over takes. You never run the risk of choosing the same vocal take (which would obviously defeat the idea of a double).

Is there a way to replicate this function in Cubase somehow? So far the best I’ve been able to do is change the colors of the regions I used in my main comp before duplicating the track so I know not to use these again. But I’m wondering if there might be a better way.

Hi there

I’m almost certain one could write a Macro to duplicate this, the macro would run something like… 1.Duplicate track 2, run the command that gets rid of the unwanted bits, sorry forgot the command and I’m not in studio, pretty simple I would think.

Best Regards

Dave

Hi Jon,

I’ve been trying to work out the logic ‘move active comp to new track’ command in Cubase for such a long time and never managed to find a work around until just now. It’s still clunky, but I’m sure someone could write a macro for it.

If you close the lanes on the respective track you’re working on, then click on the first region of that active comp, you can then hold down ‘shift+ ->’. This is the key command for ‘add right’ under the navigation section. You’re basically telling cubase to select the next event on the track, but by holding down shift, you add it into the selection you are making. If you hold down this command it simply runs to the end of the track and then stops as it runs out of regions/ events to select.

You can then drag just the highlighted regions onto a new track leaving your unused regions behind on the original track.

Game-changing comping discovery!