Copied notes invisible in staves

Hi! In certain staves in a score, when I copy and paste notes from another stave they are invisible in the new stave. I have to open score settings for that staff and click “apply”, then “correct” for the message “Some notes may not belong to any voice…”. The notes then appear. An interesting side-effect is that following this operation I can then no longer use the mouse wheel to scroll in the main project window. This lasts for some time, then the wheel becomes available again. This happens systematically after I have clicked correct. I feel that if I could find out why the copied notes are invisible, I would also solve the problem of the ineffective mouse wheel. This is Cubase 9 on Windows 7.

Turn off Polyphonic voicing in Score Settings to stop this behavior.

For more info read these:

1 Like

Thanks, Steve, but the polyphonic voicing is useful to me at this stage in my workflow as it makes things easier when I come to export the music to notation software.

That’s doable. you need to learn how it works though. Have you had a look at the documentation?

I’m not sure which part of the documentation that you posted you want to draw my attention to. I have been using polyphonic voices in Cubase for around 25 years, so I thought I knew what I was doing. This problem of disappearing notes seems only to affect certain staves within a composition, and I haven’t knowingly made different settings between any of them. But perhaps there is a little tweak that I’m missing???

You are describing two things:

1- Hidden notes when copied from one staff to another

As mentioned by Steve, and as you may know, this can only be due to different polyphonic voicing configurations between those two staves

2- Inoperative scrolling in the main project window, after clicking the “Correct” button in the dialog that suggests to correct hidden notes voicing

I tried to reproduce this in Cubase 9 on Windows 10, multiple times, without success.

Thank you. So if, say, I copy from a stave which has only one voice into a stave which has two voices, this problem may occur? Or, conversely, copying from a stave which has two voices into one which has only one voice may cause it? Either of these causes, or just one? I’ll check whether this is the case: if so, I should make the same polyphonic voice setting in all staves and that should solve it. That should also solve the inoperative scrolling problem, which occurs only after I have corrected the invisible note problem.

No, not necessarily.
In fact, it’s more a matter of MIDI channel assigned to those voices.
As an example, if you copy notes whose MIDI channel is set to 2 (no matter single or polyphonic), to a polyphonic staff that contains two voices: Voice 1/channel 1, and Voice 2/channel 2, then the copied notes will appear in voice 2 on that staff.
If there is no channel 2 assigned to any voice on the staff to which the notes are copied, these notes will be hidden until a correction is made.

Ah ah! This is new to me. So if I set both channels of a two-voice stave to MIDI channel 1, the problem will go away? (having them on two separate channels is irrelevant for me).

… but “If two voices are set to the same MIDI channel, the lower voice is treated as if it were turned off.”. So that’s no good, and anyway, I just tried to change channel 2 to channel 1 and I couldn’t!

To be honest, I don’t know what this line in the manual is referring to, as it is not allowed to set two voices to the same MIDI channel in Polyphonic Settings (unless you enable the special Mirror mode there).

To get back to the main problem, about disappearing notes, just a tip:
To make the hidden notes show up, right after you paste the notes, you can just change their MIDI channel number in the Info Line until they reappear on the staff (use the scroll wheel of your mouse for faster action), thus no need to make any changes to the polyphonic settings at all.

Thanks. I’ll try that when it next happens, and I’ll check to see whether this has the effect of stopping the mod wheel from working.

It occurs to me though, Maestro, that if the notes are invisible I won’t be able to select them in order to change their MIDI channel number. Or have I misunderstood something?

Even though the copied notes are not visible, their information remains highlighted in the Info Line until you click somewhere in the score or select something else.

Thanks for that! I’ll try it when next I have this problem, and report back.

Well, it just happened again. I pasted some notes from a part that had only one voice to a part that had two. The notes were invisible, and the channel showed “16” (why?). I scrolled the mouse over the 16 till it came to 1 and, hey presto, the notes appeared again, as you said they would, Maestro. And when I tried using the mouse wheel on the project window, no problem! So that’s solved: big thanks for that! I would just like to know where the “16” came from, and what is the meaning of “channel” in this case, when it clearly has nothing to do with the MIDI output channel to which the track is set.

That channel is indeed a MIDI channel, but at voice and note level, instead of MIDI track level. It can be used for multichannel VST instruments. You will just have to set the MIDI out of the track to “Any” in order to benefit from it. For example you can create a configuration to make each voice in a staff play a different instrument.

Thanks! That’s quite clear.