copied parts won't size automatically to follow tempo map

Hey folks,

I’ve run into this problem before and completely forgotten either why it happens or what I did to resolve it. But I’m programming a drum track to follow a piece of music that I have tempo mapped.

Usually when I cut and paste parts or duplicate them, the (midi) part automatically sizes itself to match the tempo of the track. So if I’ve copied 1 bar, it remains exactly 1 bar long at the copied location, even if the tempo has changed here. But at the moment, it’s not behaving, so the copied part is not exactly a bar long and repeated copies get the drum track more and more out of line, as the copies don’t start at the beginning of the bar.

I thought it was something to do with toggling the time base between musical and linear (clicking the clock icon on the track that has the original music that I tempo matched), but it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Si

Delved a bit more and realised I was correct about the switching between musical/linear time base, but for MIDI parts, the clock/note icon that switches between the two is only visible in the inspector, not on the track title, whereas the icon is there for audio tracks. I didn’t have the inspector open, so couldn’t see the clock icon to switch it over to the note, to make it musical not linear.

WOrks fine now!

Si

… for MIDI parts, the clock/note icon that switches between the two is only visible in the inspector, not on the track title, .

You can add icons to any track/tracktype with Track Control Settings (in Cubase 5 it´s global, but for different track types), in Cubase 6 just right click on the track and you can find this option.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Thankfully in Cubase 8 now these can always show up in the same place. I spent quite a bit of time making sure everything in common among the tracks all show up in the same place regardless of size now thankfully it won’t wrap. Love this new feature in Cubase 8, so very useful!