coping a "standard" tune page

Hello Dorico’s frineds, I am re-writing donna lee trying to make it as much as possible looks like the original score; attached is what i was able to achieve and i would like to:

1. Set the page with four bar each system and all bars aligned with the bar above ( I found a way to have 4 bars each system line, but still the bars are not aligned with the one above as in the original score);
  2. make the “3” of the tuplet under a curved line;
  3. Have a more “handwritten” style of the music;
  4. Hide the rest at the beginning of the piece ( I know is not as the original but it will work for other music i am working on, e.g. “Confirmation”).
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you!

Hi!
I saw your post on the Facebook page and found the answers you received there were good.

You can fake the curved tuplet if you wish (although I agree it’s not best practice).

Hide the tuplet number and bracket via the properties panel. Then create a custom playing technique.

Yes Marc, I just saw it, thanks.
But still few things are not yet clear for me:
point 1: I found a way to have 4 bars each system line, but still the bars are not aligned with the one above as in the original score;
Point 4: and also if i use the “pick up” bar, it is count as a bar itself (also if is named “0”) and it moves the 4th bar from the first to the second line (and so on) changing all the order on the page…

Yes, you are right, but, at the moment, the goal is copy the tune as much as i can, just as an exercise, that’s why my wired request.
Thanks for the hint!

1. You’ll need to adjust them manually, using Note Spacing in Engrave Mode. There’s no option for fixed width.

2. Use system breaks and “make into system” to adjust the measures.

Regarding a more handwritten font: at this point, your options are pretty limited. I know there are a number of font designers working on some SMuFL-compatible fonts, but Petaluma is your best bet at the moment.

Yet another unsolicited opinion from me: the sloppier the font, the harder it is to read! I think Petaluma strikes the perfect balance here: a very relaxed look, but extremely legible!

It would be nice to have the ability to select a range of measures and force equal measure widths. Student worksheets and really simple elementary music quite often are set up this way. With Finale, it’s accomplished with a single keystroke.

…and drum charts!

There is a very good reason fixed width bars are not easily achievable in Dorico : it is too easy to swap a system when they all look the same. Gould advises against this (early-computer-era) practice and I second this choice made by the team!
Nevertheless you should find that using certain Note Spacing values and the Note spacing tool in Engrave mode, you can reach that goal.

I might be ok for exercises etc., but I would hope no one would produce music with equal bar widths if it’s a composition which is to be played. I agree with Marc and Gould. It is a nightmare to read because it is so easy to skip a system when they all look alike at a glance.

Your reasons are the exact ones that make equal bar widths useful for drum charts for studio sight-reading. It’s easy to clock the next sixteen bars or whatever to see that you have rhythm for 14 and then a fill for 2.

This is so easy to do in Finale, as well as being able to select say the next 32 bars and group them in four per system.

Other things, such as thick bar lines at structural points and large bar numbers, help you not to skip (plus the fact that it’s your job…!).

Fine for drums. Most of what I have to sight read is piano alone or accompanying. Try reading Mozart. Even concert pianist find the repetition within the music tricky. You can completely lose your place. I don’t think anyone would print that sort of music with equal length bars.

Mostly because that kind of music is not repetitive bar-to-bar. Some minimalist piano parts would benefit for the same reason as the drums. I emergency sight-read a lot of piano music and equal bars are the least bother. Even professionally published music has increasingly bad spelling, sometimes really terrible. The attached was handed to me to play for a singers west-end audition. I played it without comment then told them they’d better fix it before giving it to anyone else.

Well I agree on that when is a music written for a player; different story is when you have just to write a music paper for a different purpose such analysis or comparisons etc…