Copy/Paste->Mirror sections?

There are so many ways of doings things that I’ve wished for since, well, forever in a Notation program that Dorico provides, with relative ease, in a truly esemplastic notation program. And learning Dorico has help to speed up ancient rivers of thought and practice, and that helped my creative flow tremendously. Thanks Dorico folks! And forum folks!

Now my questions is in the title. Is it possible, and I am missing the menu item?
:saluting_face:

Write>transform>all>Reverse Pitches and Rhythms?

What do you mean by “mirror sections”? Do you mean to copy notes, but have them go backwards? If so, see here (further information in the related links at the bottom of the page)

Do you mean copy and paste where the source and destination become linked so that changing one changes the other?

1 Like

Hi. Let’s say I copy measures 56-70 to 220-234. And then I want to change a dynamic in Measure 65, by mirror I mean, the measure 229 would reflect that change. Capisci?

Like the old Mirror Tool in Finale that they killed off maybe 8-10 years ago? AFAIK, Dorico doesn’t have anything like that.

Yes I remember that way back when. Would love to see it resurrected in Dorico.

1 Like

No it doesn’t have that.

Cubase does have that and it’s incredibly useful for architecting pieces in their early stages, particularly as the copies can be transposed and have different dynamic levels.

Based on the fact that this has been tried and killed off in another notation program, I’m guessing this is harder to do in a notation program than a DAW.

Finale killed it off in v25, released in 2016; as it had not worked properly for many years before that.

Though it will undoubtedly require considerable manhours to implement, I’m not sure that Finale’s difficulties speak to the intrinsic problems of the task.

2 Likes

Finale 1.0 already had the mirror tool in 1988, so the code was quite old. It must have been so little used that they decided not to maintain it.

I definitely never used it. It seemed like a tool that could maybe save a little bit of time up front in exchange for a potential proofreading catastrophe down the road. No thanks. I could maybe see it being useful for something both highly repetitive and subject to change, like a drum part.

Isn’t this just linking dynamics, which I believe happens automatically with a paste (or maybe it’s a paste into a different system)? I know I spend considerable time disabling (Context Menu → Dynamics → Unlink) the behavior you are describing.

No: this is one region being a ‘live’ duplicate of another: notes, dynamics and all. Change a note in the introduction, and the ritornello at the end also changes.