Copy/paste when there's a tempo track (Cubase 11)

I have a project with a pretty variable tempo track. It has a basic 4/4 four-on-the-floor EDM pattern in the percussion. But when I copy and paste in the drum editor, (i.e., MIDI notes) from one part of my project where the tempo is a little different to another the notes don’t line up with the grid. It’s as if Cubase is maintaining a constant TIME spacing between the notes instead of a constant GRID (e.g., quarter notes, eight notes, etc) spacing even though the Time Format is set to Bars and Beats. Snap is on and quantize is 1/16 note.

I want the paste operation to respect the GRID, i.e., if I have a measure with 4 quarter notes aligned with the beats and I paste it into a different part of my project with a different tempo I still want them to be aligned properly with the grid there. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Is the Musical Timebase enabled on the MIDI/Instrument track, please?

1 Like

Is the Musical Timebase enabled on the MIDI/Instrument track, please?
Ahh, no, that control seemed to be hidden by default. I revealed it via Track Control settings and it was still set to linear so now I’ve changed it to Musical;

Thank you.

Hi @art1 , there is also a Preference drop down choice that allows all new tracks to be created in Musical Timebase, vs Linear Timebase*

*at least in C12 Pro there is