Copying Figured Bass

I have a file in which there is a part containing figured bass. I want to copy the part to a new file. When I select the part, the figures are not selected, only the notes. (And therefore when I past into the new file, the figures aren’t pasted.) How can I have my original selection include the figures?
(I will mention that once only I was able to include the figures in the selection; but I don’t know what I did differently, and I wasn’t able to do it a second time after various attempts.)

Use a marquee selection to include notes and figured bass (or if it’s a long section ctrl-click the first and last notes and figures then ctrl-shift-A to select everything in between).
When you paste into the new part you will probably have to switch on show figured bass in Layout Options>Players>Figured bass

1 Like

I think you meant command-click and command-shift-A. If there are no figures at the beginning of the flow, you have to shift click or marquee select from the beginning to the first note with the figure, then command click the very last note, then command-shift-A, and you get everything including the figures. And the marquee-select thing works very well also, though it is problematic on long flows. Thanks for the hints.

Janus gave the shortcuts for Windows; you didn’t say you’re on Mac.

1 Like

You may also use the System Track to select everything including the figured bass numbers.
In the System Track select the first bar you want to copy, hold Shift and select the last bar you plan to copy. Once the System track over those bars has turned red, make sure to tick the box at the right end of the selected System Track (this will select everything).
Then copy and paste.

1 Like

Using the System Track is a handy way of including system-attached items in your selection (like chord symbols, figured bass, and tempo marks).

One reason they’re not included in a standard selection is that it’s very common to select material for copying into the same bars but on other staves, for which copying system items is unnecessary.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for very helpful information. The Dorico forum is exemplary. I know of only one other that is this good. (Panorama, a wonderful Mac database.)

2 Likes

Hear! hear! and Hear here!

2 Likes