corrupt files when recording

This has happened to me quite a lot after updating.

I record voice overs.

The file will record fine for about a minute- then become corrupted like speeded up. Sounds weird.

Happened once in a while before as well.

Might be related to my audio interface of course but it has never happened in Cubase which I use more often.

Anybody got a clue?

I’ve edited the corrupt wave file so you can hear when it corrupts: http://tonekontrol.dk/audio/testfile_corrupt.wav

Hi,

Internal or External sync with audio device ?
It’s sounds like it can’t lock to sample rate
and speeds up…

regards S-EH

internal - yes sounds very weird like that

deleted

just happened again - just after 1 minute of recording. This is strange.

Both these files are silence with a little noise. What are they meant to demonstrate?

deleted

Maybe this could be a buffer problem? Check your buffer settings between Cubase and WL (not the audio interface buffer setting but within Wavelab).

set at 32 - but I have no idea what that means?

Isn’t that pretty standard?

Just did a lot of Reel to Reel transfer recordings with WL9.0.30 and no corrupt files. RME sound card, Benchmark ADC and the RME card set to sync off the AES input from the Benchmark. Sounds like a clocking problem to me. Best of luck!

Good to hear Thomas - just strange it never happened to me in Cubase but Wavelab only. Maybe some sort of intermittent driver problem. I’m using an Apollo Twin that has otherwise been rock solid

just happened again - I think 10 files in a row - corruptions always start about a minute or so in.

Switched to Cubase with same soundcard = no problems. I’m going nuts

Hi, we will try to reproduce this issue here inhouse.

Maybe not directly related but there are also some posts in MacOSX Forum that especially on the playback side, drop outs appear after a while especially with Mac OSX 10.9.4 on Core Audio.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/26750023#26750023
It has been told on another topic that this bug has been solved in latest OSX 10.12 Update.

Cheers
Kay

great!

Strange thing is, that it’s only sometimes it happens. And then once it’s going on it continues regardless of powering on / off the Apollo twin and restarting Wavelab.

Is this plain recording of audio with no plugins ?
maybe check for a driver update

regards S-EH

Yes - straight recording. newest UAD software. Never happens in any other program (I use both Cubase and other recording software daily)

PG - ever had a chance to look into this? Just happened again - 5 mins of VO recording lost. :astonished:

I have checked your corrupted sample file. When zooming in vertically, we see the corrupted samples. These are not:

• not blank samples (hence they don’t represent a lost “sample block”)
  • there are not “real” noise, hence not “random”, not “wrong audio blocks”.

However, the apparent speedup let me think some samples are lost. Hence maybe your hardware notices this and try to fill the gap. Just an idea.

WaveLab just grabs the audio and writes it to file. The samples are not transformed by WaveLab. Hence the problem is upstream for sure. The samples arrive to WaveLab already in the bad state.

Thanks a lot - sure is weird. Even weirder is that not once, and I’ve made so many hours of recordings in Cubase, has it happened there. Can there be any difference in how Cubase and Wavelab is handling the hardware that could explain this?

How about the way it’s saved to disk? Cubase records straight to disk whereas Wabelab is set to create a temporary file.

Can there be any difference in how Cubase and Wavelab is handling the hardware that could explain this?

Both apps use a common module to catch the audio. What I see, is that the audio that is collected is already wrong.

How about the way it’s saved to disk? Cubase records straight to disk whereas Wabelab is set to create a temporary file.

It’s the same mechanism.

I must say I have no clue for the difference. Since this is rare and random, this is maybe by chance you did not get it from cubase.

Do you use the WaveLab monitor function when you record. In that case, do you hear the wrong samples?

Philippe