could it be that the C6 install messed up some C5 projects?

Hello

just experienced something I hadn’t seen before, at least not in that scope. I opened a c5 tune i made a couple days ago, some kontakt 4 tracks and 2 tracks of 48 k acoustic guitar.Upon opening, all the audio in the project was missing. Searches and locating had no result, althoughI pionted to the precise folder the files were in. I verified the folder, played the files , which were all still present, with the media player - all OK.
In the pool, the files strangely showed all the exact same length and position, and read " reconstructable". I tried reconstructing them, and C5 kept saying " unsupported files". At one point, the files showed up on the lanes, but just generated a short clicking noise when played. Extremely weird - never ever had that before. Also, although I had defined a special audio folder, all the audio files now were in the “edits” folder.
The other phenomenon is that the video file ( mpg4 ) now runs less smoothly and occasionally stutters.
Given that I have installed C6 shortly after the tune, could it be that the cpr was somehow affected / corrupted by the install? Thing is that all cpr files now read “cubase 6 file” in the “type” column. I had not planned to use C6 on this job yet, I was just getting familiar with it by experimenting bit by bit.
Luckily, older projects seem unaffected. I uninstalled 6 for safety now but would like to have it on the machine alongside C5.
Any clues or similar experiences?
Thanks!

I would have thought it highly unlikely that the install of C6 corrupted the C5 cpr!

I presume you have saved the C5 project incrementally, then have you tried an earlier version of the cpr?

What else have you done that may explain why the audio files are no longer in the correct folder?

hi split,

I basically did what I always did and how i’ve been doing it for ages…, define a project folder, record some takes, editing, regularly saving, making a safety save on another drive when I finish working etc. i’ve never ever seen this behaviour before, espacially the pool chaos. Luckily it’s just this particular cpr which is affected.
Yesterday i installed windows virtual PC to have an occasional virtual XP drive going for some older hardware drivers, like a scanner etc. I personally do not think it has anything to do with that, don’t you think?

It all sounds very weird!

Something has mucked up that folder.

As to what? well… I haven’t a scooby :laughing:

Yesterday i installed windows virtual PC to have an occasional virtual XP drive going for some older hardware drivers, like a scanner etc. I personally do not think it has anything to do with that, don’t you think?

I would say that’s exactly it. Get an old cheapo machine to run your scanner on. Your main DAW machine, while it doesn’t have to be totally tip-top to run Cubase, is much better off without virtual PCs corrupting the registry and parts of your hard drive.

Regarding

and

The files you could play with media player were found in the edits-folder of the project, is that correct?
You say you have DEFINED an audio folder, does that mean some other than the one Cubase creates automatically when creating a project?
What happens if you import the files into a new project, are they playing fine or still corrupted?

You write that other projects are unaffected, does that mean that the project is still corrupted when you open it in C5?

C6 and C5 quite happily exist alongside eachother here, I have 32 and 64 bit versions of both also.
Whatever the issue, it’s highly unlikely that the installation itself caused a corruption like this.

/A

thanks everyone for the input!
TwinOak,
what got me oput of touble was to reimport the audio files from the “edits” folder back into the project and clean up the pool. I reopened the newly saved project and the files now play totally OK. :open_mouth:
No idea what happened there… will work some more on that project tomorrow and see how it behaves.
cheers!