Could WL have a Sound Designer II setup for editing in the file window?

I owned Digidesign’s SDII hardware and software. It had a very good feature in its editing window where you could have both halves of a file you were editing shown and you could move each file independently until you got a perfect edit and then commit to it. A great way to do classical music editing. This is one feature I have really missed in WL. I can do similar work in the montage but to be able to do it in the file window would be great. Thanks for any feedback or thoughts!!!

You mean, to adjust the left and right edges of a clip?

Yes that is correct. You could move them with +/- arrows.

I seem to recall something like that in what used to be called Cool Edit Pro. IIRC you were working in ONE file (therefor in WL terms the file editor), you pasted another file at the end and then could move the selection freely forward over the existing audio (or any selection within a file actually).

That would be great for quick edits without having to set up a montage - I like it. If ofcourse I have the right picture, Thomas…

With the WaveLab Nudege function, we are not far from this: click on the left edge and use the Nudge shortcut. Click on right left edge and use the Nudge shortcut.

And open the Wave Matching window to have a zoomed view of the edited edge.

I seem to recall something like that in what used to be called Cool Edit Pro. IIRC you were working in ONE file (therefor in WL terms the file editor), you pasted another file at the end and then could move the selection freely forward over the existing audio (or any selection within a file actually).

That would be great for quick edits without having to set up a montage - I like it. If of course I have the right picture, Thomas…

That is pretty much it. The nice thing about Sound Designer II was a accuracy and the graphics that let me work on classical music without the montage which, of course, there was none in SD II,

Still not quite the same. I wish I had a working copy of SDII so I could show you what the edit section looked like. It is an old program so I don’t think any of my current computers would run it even if I had the software and it required a “special” card which I no longer own. I will see if I can use the “way back machine” to find a copy of the edit window,. Anyway you are correct we are “almost there”.

What about Sonic Solutions or SoundBlade
did they have the same editing capabilities
and are more modern programs?

regards S-EH

I think SADiE 6 still does this