Counter-intuitive

Why were you looking for music software? Is something missing in what you have? Or is this simply an exploration?
I certainly understand your reactions to this software. Dorico is daunting until you start getting the hang of it. I’m in my third year now using Dorico daily. I still find things that are placed where I didn’t expect to find them. At the same time I have learned to trust the decisions of the builders of this product. Each year gets a little easier. I wouldn’t change this decision now. I don’t see anything out there that can touch this one.
I have used Musescore and liked for what it does, but it doesn’t do enough for me.

2 Likes

After 20+ years of using (and mostly loving) Sibelius, I took a chance on Dorico in v1, as I could see the potential in the direction they were pointing (plus, I have huge respect for Daniel and the former Sibelius team now developing Dorico). I decided that (while it wasn’t quite ready at that time to do all I needed), I could gradually learn the unique software doing small projects as time permitted. And I 'm SO glad I did. Simple things like, “how do I add more measures while entering notes?” took a little research (WAY before First Steps was available), but once I discovered how (including “just keep entering notes”).

It was helpful to export existing XML files from Sibelius into Dorico, which gave me the chance to learn the potential of Layout, Notation, and Engraving Options (“how do I change the beaming of all those 8th notes?” “And WHY do notes that I’ve entered keep changing into different durations than what I specified???”)

It was a definite learning curve, but watching numerous videos and tutorials helped me to understand the intricacies of Dorico. As the program matured, most of what I needed was included in major updates. As Dorico grew, so did I in understanding and efficiency.

I moved 100% to Dorico a couple of years ago, as I’ve learned how much more effective it is in rendering high-quality score with minimal manual intervention (once all options/parameters are set optimally). I’m now converting many Sibelius projects to Dorico, just because I can create much better looking score/parts with less effort. In the long-term, the time I’ve invested in really learning the program has been repaid vastly in the time savings of manually manipulating [everything].

And I can’t imagine what the future might hold. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I like Musecore, but it doesn’t sound as good as I’d like (with respect to articulations). I thought I’d try some other options - Dorico being one.

I can’t be bothered scrolling up to check whether you’ve tried NotePerformer? It works fantastically out of the box with Dorico. There’s a free trial too!

1 Like

I haven’t tried NotePerformer yet, but it’s an interesting concept. Sounds wise I tend to like Spitfire Audio.

You can checkout this comparison I made with different libraries, NotePerformer wins. Beware, it’s an “out of the box” without tweaking or anything comparison. Spitfire libraries would require some massaging to be acceptable (because it’s meant to be used in a DAW more than in a notation software…).

Do it! :slight_smile:

I’ll have a read. Thanks.

I wish the Cubase development team had the same view as you regarding the Mouse wheel being able to affect mixer parameters by mistake…

A follow up. My main issue is just how often it crashes. I have to reboot my PC all the time as Dorico sits there with “Wait for audio initialization.” I still go back to Musescore when I want to be productive.

This is typically a case where sending diagnostics is one of the first things to do when you really want to solve the issue :wink:
Ulf and Daniel are very committed to providing help here, especially for this kind of unwanted problem

1 Like

This is likely due to the VST Audio Engine already being active. Go to Windows Task Manager, select the VSTAudioEngine process, and hit End Task. If Dorico is still open in Task Manager, hit End Task for it as well. You should then be able to start Dorico normally. This obviously doesn’t solve why the VSTAudioEngine is hanging, but at least you don’t have to waste time rebooting.

1 Like

Another four hours trying to get Dorico to work when I could be having fun writing music. What’s my problem? Everything, every single thing that I try and do. Hands down I’ve never used software this bad (and yes I know people here have drunk the Kool Aid ™, but it’s not to my taste.)

Hi. Have you followed the only tip I gave you about that? (sending diagnostic files to Ulf or Daniel)
I don’t think anything else could really help.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (689.3 KB)

Unfortunately there are no Dorico or audio engine crash dumps contained within the provided diagnostics, so I’m unable to provide any insight into why Dorico might be crashing on your computer.

(I’m going to merge this new thread with one of your existing ones, since there’s no need to start a new one for further generalised complaints about the program.)

1 Like

Sure thing. Today’s issue is my inability to assign VST instruments to my score in any meaningful way. I did watch a Dorico YouTube video but since it was five years old, didn’t match the current version.

You may find this video more help. It gives a good overview of Play Mode in Dorico 4.

1 Like

FWIW, speaking as somebody who has professionally written software for longer, I strongly disagree. No need to answer - I’m not trying to get in a spitting fight, but I’d wonder how you could even say this. Much of my time has been spent in technical software for national labs, three letter agencies and the like, which is not too unlike what is done here. Namely a complex display problem for a group of fussy professionals with a long history of expectations. All such software has a learning curve initially, Dorico is no exception but after that the internal consistency and logic of the approach is apparent.

It all flows from a classic Model-View-Controller design pattern from the Gang of Four and Smalltalk fame, perhaps you’ve heard of it …

1 Like

I have indeed heard and used MVC for development, but MVC is unrelated to UI. Good to hear you worked for the TSB. (UK-centric joke.)