coupla features I'd love to see/use...

Here are two guitar tracks. Both tracks are selected. I actually have this hotkeyed, but used the menu just to show you.
I select a range on the top track and use the “range->delete time” option. Only the top track is edited. the audio to the right is pulled to the left. The bottom track is untouched even though the track is selected. There are a large number of options off this editing function.

here’s one showing a few selection options. The resulting parts can be glued together as part of a macro. But I wanted the edits to be clearly visible with the time being removed.

Oh yeah, forgot an important one. Non-contiguous. There are a lot of combinations with this that you can do in conjunction with group editing. I think out of the 25 or so macros I have, 7 or 8 are based around this kind of editing. For example, you can have a macro that doesn’t do time delete … it just deletes the selection, then does a select next event, then move selection to cursor, then glue. Now you have slip edit of only the event. Just one example. But, the idea that Cubase doesn’t have Slip or Ripple editing is wrong. It’s just a hair different.

So out of everything requested, the only thing that isn’t there is the ability to locate the cursor via open space in the editors. I could have sworn you could. I’ll have to go back and see what I was thinking.

Goddamn Ive been using this program for years and had no idea you could range slip like that! Facepalm. Thanks for that :slight_smile:

It can be quite useful for editing tracks to picture - more so perhaps with FX (where you want slip an atmos track but not the music), but its useful with music too and not just a dance music thing. I’ve been in situations many times at a film dub where certain music parts have to be slipped but not others, but Im generally using PT with slip mode at that stage of things

It is a little different to traditional slip but it does the job. Like many things in Cubase its there, but perhaps not overtly obvious. Perhaps if I RTFM it might help.

Cheers,
Jim

By the way, Cut time puts works the same except the cut is put in the clipboard. Useful if you want to paste what you cut somewhere else, like another track.

Wow.
All this is a great timesaver. Thanks for explaining.

JB

I shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions. I’ve not done a lot of sound editing for film. A bit of scoring, but no fx placement stuff. I didn’t know this would be useful for that. So, my ignorance is on display as well :stuck_out_tongue:

It is a little different to traditional slip but it does the job. Like many things in Cubase its there, but perhaps not overtly obvious. Perhaps if I RTFM it might help.

To be honest this is one of those cases where you would have to know what you were reading for. From what I remember the manual doesn’t exactly spell out what you can do with this type of edit. But it does say that it collapses the data to the right and that is can be done on selections and multi-selections.

Too bad this thread didn’t start with CAN Cubase do … instead of an FR type thread.

By the way, if they ever add a comp list feature to the comping and group editing features, this type of slip editing will kick the poop out of everything out there.

There is actually one big advantage to this method over the ‘Slip Mode’ method in Pro Tools. While it it a timesaver have a global slip whereby its dictated by what mode you’re in, you also have to be very diligent and careful that you don’t FORGET to turn off slip mode when you’re done with it. The amount of times Ive been editing away only to realise Im still in slip mode when I didnt mean to be (and havent locked the tracks) - well, it can be frustrating when your tracks are all messed up.

I guess while the Cubase method might be slightly more time-consuming, its also more idiot proof :wink:

Yeah, I’m not a PT guy, but I’ve used Reaper a lot. That’s one of the things I don’t like about it’s Ripple edit. You have to remember to turn it on/off. In Cubase it’s just another edit type.

Uh… yep… I know how it works.

Ok, then fill us in why you don’t think this works as Ripple or Slip editing. Which functionality is lacking?

I’ll pass on that.

I’ll only say Reaper and Vegas and some other editors have both things (insert/delete time & ripple) for a reason, and its not just redundancy. Beyond that, no thanks.

The “somebody is wrong on the Internet because they don’t agree with me” thing gets fatiguing. If I start posting gifs of things Cubase can’t as easily do with insert/delete time it would only make the thread longer.

Best regards. No need for a continued disagreement here. Not that important, especially if you don’t personally want it anyway.

I’m sorry you don’t want to have a try. This isn’t a someone is wrong on the internet thread. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a few people figure stuff out from the thread, including me.

For example, I don’t see the difference between insert/delete time & ripple, at least in terms of Reaper. The only real difference I see is that Reaper uses a toggle system similar to PT, and Cubase uses a command. I prefer the command approach. Is there another distinction between insert/delete time and Ripple that I don’t understand?

I’d say that the OP appears to see a difference that may benefit him since he made the request so maybe that question is best asked of him, being that this is his thread and his request.

Or ask other Reaper users why (or when) they might choose to use ripple as opposed to insert/delete.

Ok, this is the part I’m interested in. As far as I know, there is NOT an Insert/Delete Time in Reaper. There is Insert/Delete Time commands in Cubase and Ripple Modes in Reaper. They work almost identically other than mode vs command implementation. There are some minor differences like what automation gets selected under which condition. But, are essentially the same. So, my question for Reaper folks … is there a insert/delete time in addition to Ripple and what functionality/differences does it bring to the table.

On the Vegas front, I’ve only used it a very few times. So, I can’t comment on what it can/can’t do. It was just my understanding that Ripple was implemented in Reaper exactly how it was done in Vegas. In my limited use, that seemed to be the case. But, that is from extremely superficial use and no attempt to understand the feature.

By the way, when I said I prefer the Cubase way better, I was referring to command instead of mode implementation primarily. I find it more flexible, especially in macros. Not that the mode way is bad, just that I prefer commands. I do like the way edit groups are built/selected in Reaper better though.

As far as I know, there is NOT an Insert/Delete Time in Reaper.

Well… you’re wrong about that. It has both, + ripple.

Why are your panties in such a knot? I’ve been wrong before. I’ve asked the question, but you refuse to answer. Where is the feature? What is the difference between it and Ripple. I’d really like to know. I’ve been through the Reaper Manual and the menus, and there isn’t an Insert Time that I could find. That doesn’t mean it isn’t there under another name, or my search capabilities are bad. All I’ve said is that Ripple and Cubases version of Insert/Delete time do the same thing. Which is true, with a minor difference in automation. It even does markers. So come on, quit being so grumpy and answer the question

My panties aren’t in a bunch. :mrgreen: I’m just wondering why you jump into a thread with a feature based on Vegas, bring up Reaper, and (apparently) don’t even actually fully know how either works.

Now… after telling me what’s not there… you want me to research it for you also because, well, you just can’t be bothered to search the words “Insert” or “Delete” in Reaper. … just… too much trouble. You’d rather argue about it. :mrgreen:

If you type in “Insert Time” or “Remove Time” in the action list you’ll find those actions.

All I’ve said is that Ripple and Cubases version of Insert/Delete time do the same thing.

But they actually don’t… and no, I won’t be a source for illuminating your thinking there, if you want to know why… check it out for yourself… well check it out more, since you missed some things. There are clearly things ripple can do - in one edit - that insert/delete can’t do, in one edit… in Cubase anyway… given how limited it’s edit selection range is.

Best regards.