CPU/ASIO Clipping Issue: Solved for me at least

Posting as it would have helped me if I read it two weeks ago.

I recently replaced my 1 year old Gigabye ga-880 mobo/AMD phenom II 960 black edition with 8 gigs of ram running win 7 64 bit. This machine worked flawlessly, handled most anything I could throw at it and really didn’t need to be replaced but I had reason to justify the hardware upgrade. So I built this:

Gigabyte Ga-970 mobo
AMD FX-6100 Black
Ram 16 gigs of
2 PCIe 16 Video cards (running 3 monitors, same as previous machine)
Win 7 64 bit

It was a great day after I finished installing everything and got the video monitors/desktops sorted out. That was until I launched Cubase 6.5 and noticed that ever couple seconds or so the cpy/asio meter in the transport bar was spiking and creating bits of distortion. I spent a weekend then on and off over two weeks trying to figure this out.

I did find that if you did turn up the buffer to 1024 you got some relief but then it was unusable for recording in anything but direct monitoring and there were still artifacts and clipping.

I had experience running 32 bit plug ins not in the (x86) folder before with a similar result. confirmed that wasn’t it.
Updated ALL my drivers - still a problem
Disabled my UAD1 card and all usb devices - Nope

I did find a couple great free utilities called Latency Mon and DPC Latency Checker that helped me narrow the issue down to USBPort.sys and a few other .sys files. I could see they were both creating tons of latency but it wasn’t them.

I finally found the solution.

AMD includes a utility called Quick Tune 6 for over clocking. uninstalled that and it was fixed instantly. Thing about it is that once you install it starts running at start up and I forgot complete that it was there. I uninstalled and that fixed it.

My recommendation for best way to trouble shoot something like this is to run dpc latency checker why killing non essential processes via task manager till you see the latency go away. Remember what you just killed of course so that you can match that up with what needs to go away.

Yeah, that DPC Latency Checker’s a good one, isn’t it? Solved a problem for me a couple of weeks ago. :sunglasses:

Any utility that periodically checks or adjusts some part of the system automatically is a likely audio problem cause, as they are rarely written to accomodate realtime multimedia.

Therefore, do NOT install motherboard or graphics card utilities or enable BIOS settings that gather system status or automatically adjust parameters without first checking on the internet for whether they have problems.