CPU consumption - Dorico and VEP Server

My system: PC i5 64 GB, Dorico Pro 3.5

For a smaller project with 8 instruments, my system reports a CPU performance of Dorico approx. 20% +, the Cubase audio engine approx. 40% +, i.e. approx. 60% total consumption.
With VEP Server and only one Dorico audio output:
Dorico approx. 40% +, audio engine approx. 2.0%, VEP approx. 18% - so unfortunately still a total consumption of 60%.

Why do you think Dorico still uses so much computing power with VEP?
greeting
Bertram

Aha - I closed the second (playback) window in Dorico. Now Dorico brings 15% less CPU performance.
But the question from above still remains unanswered.

This is during playback, or just when the software is idling? I would expect Dorico itself to use around 1-2% CPU and the audio engine around 3-5% when idle, but during playback when there’s lots going on (lots of redrawing, lots of audio data, etc.) it’s not unreasonable for it to be taxing your CPU.

Thanks for the answer.
Yes, only during playback (please excuse us) - otherwise Dorico is below 10% overall, while scrolling and editing up to 20/25%.
But I expected that Dorico would use less CPU overall with VEP than without it. All the plugin work and mixing does everything VEP - only one audio output goes back to Dorico and it only holds one VE instance for all instruments on different channels. But it still takes the same CPU power - isn’t weird or not?

Most of VEP’s processing will be occurring in its own process, with only the server hosted inside Dorico’s audio engine, but ultimately the same amount of processing needs to be done.

The noticeable thing is that the CPU consumption of Dorico and VST-Engine together does not decrease when the consumption of VEP (18%) is added.

We’d really have to do some detailed profiling to understand exactly what’s going on, I’m afraid, and I don’t think that would ultimately be a great use of your or our time. Sorry!

Are Dorico and your VEP server on the same machine?

Yes - Dorico and VEP run on the same PC in this example. I didn’t want to make it a problem either - just point it out and see if others have the same experience.
In any case, the use of VEP is a clear advantage for me, as the loading of the plugins feels twice as fast as in Dorico without VEP - even if I use presets with a lot of ariculations. (In Dorico without VEP, I better only use presets with a limited selection of articulations from the BBCSO.)
The second major advantage is the potent live mixer in VEP, which, in my opinion, offers an accuracy comparable to Cubase and in this way appears nicely integrated into Dorico. (as long as Dorico’s mixer is not quite up to date :slight_smile: or the Cubase integration is a long time coming)
Even if the CPU consumption is increasing - still a great team for me at the moment - Dorio and VEP.
greeting
Bertram

I just wanted to mention sample rates have a pretty huge effect on CPU consumption too. If you are using something greater than 48kHz, try lowering the sample rate and see how much the CPU use decreases.

1 Like

Good news!
After further project comparisons, the total of all those involved, the CPU consumption when playing Dorico with or without VEP is roughly the same on average.
The working memory is, however, significantly spared with VEP!

Good sleep for the next few days
wishes Bertram;)

2 Likes