CPU spikes

Use the second method on the page (Visual Studio 2010 Diagnostic Tool) instead.

NO installation required!
The appropriate file (e.g. wpt_x64.msi, if Windows 7 64-bit) can be grabbed after it has extracted the files.

Well, the Windows Performance Tools (msi) needs to be installed of course, but not the entire SDK or VS2010DT. :slight_smile:

Hmm, thatā€™s not working for me either. I donā€™t get the option to extract the individual msi, the download has one exe that self-extracts everything. Iā€™ve been unable to run xperf traces via cmd - is that the end game here?

BTW, I seem to now have half a dozen debugging / analysing tools, most of which donā€™t seem to install / run correctly (or I know how to work properly). These are installed, but various error messages appear when I try to run them:

Microsoft Windows Performance Toolkit:
GPU View
Performance Analyzer
WPF Performance Suite

Debugging Tools for Windows
Global Flags
WinDebug

DPClat.exe (this one works!)

Shinta - Iā€™m not sure how Iā€™d be able to tell if Cubase is calling VSL, if itā€™s within its own process.

Just to add - updated the mobo BIOS (Asus P67 Sabertooth), and reinstalled eLicenser and drivers by using overwrite mode. No change.

I donā€™t think you could. Youā€™d have to get down into the actual programming to see that.

If itā€™s possible, the test would be:

Start Cubase without VSL (remove it from the plugin folders?). See if spikes occur.
Start Cubase with VSL (reverse previous action). See if spikes occur.

I donā€™t know if this is plausible, however.

It seems strange, but this is what my deductive reasoning is telling me. Why would VSL have to check itā€™s license every 5 seconds though? Boggling!! :confused:

Please send a support request to:
info@steinberg.de

Please add your MSinfo32 to the email.

Some useful information:

• The usb- audiointerface HAS to be connected directly to your PC and do not use a usb-hub between Pc and the interface.
  • Please ensure, that the usb-port is not a usb-3 port. We know from a lot of usb-interfaces, that are producing
    several issues when they are connected to a usb3- port. You can try to deactivate the usb3 support in your mainboard BIOS.

Thanks Marcus, support email sent with my MSinfo32. FYI Iā€™ve tried the dongle in a hub, in USB2 and USB3 ports.

For anyone interested and future forum searchers, with Steinbergā€™s help weā€™ve isolated the problem to an issue between the programs which use the eLicenser (Cubase / VSL) and the M Audio Fast Track Pro driver (currently on most recent version 5.10.0.5134). The asio4all driver is clean.

Will post any solution / workround as it appears - obviously I could use Asio4all but I find it less efficient generally.

Ehmā€¦

There is no problem with the eLicenser Control Center or VSL software.

There is only a big problem with the M-Audio ASIO- Driver and as you can see, the problem is solved when you use the ASIO4driver with the M-Audio Audiointerface.

Hopefully for all M-Audio owners they will fast purchase a better ASIO- Driver.

Thanks for all your help diagnosing. Iā€™m not holding my breath from M Audio though - itā€™s been almost a year and a half since the last driver update.

Sadly Iā€™ve been in this situation before. In this case, M Audio will say ā€œit works fine in Pro Tools, Sonar and all other DAWsā€. You guys say ā€œother drivers work fine with our hardwareā€. And so the problem remains for the customer. I had the same thing with Sonar and Avid for the Artist controllers - both sides blamed the other that it didnā€™t work in 64 bit. Or VSL and East West. Or Avid and Merging. Always the customer gets caught in the middle, with both sides saying the problem is nothing to do with them, and to take it up with the other guys. Itā€™s equally logical for Steinberg to look at their eLicenser drivers as it is M Audio to look at their soundcard drivers - both work fine with other products.

Where Iā€™d definitely critisize M Audio however is that there is no way to feedback problems. The ā€œcontact usā€ page on their website leads through only to knowledgebase pages and a sales email. Thatā€™s it, unless anyone knows of a secret email address somewhere. For that reason alone, I wonā€™t be buying any more M Audio - support is essential. I really appreciate your help, Marcus, in tracking this down via the Steinberg support system, but itā€™s a shame that I now appear to have reached a dead end.