CPU spiking and stuttering. [Update]

The only common factor as far as I can see is Cubase . From my research it affects both Mac and PC, AMD and Intel. Then there’s that other little oddity where people have reported not having this problem with earlier versions of Cubase with the same hardware.

I must have asked about 4 times in this thread so far who is using x64/32 bit and what version eLicencer are they at. But I might as well be asking them to reveal their Bank details. Getting people to collaborate in solving this issue seems a bit like trying to herd cats.

My info:

Cubase 7.0.2
Audio RME Fireface 400 v1.71
Windows 8 64 bits (Last patches applied)
Elicenser 6.5.4.1115
Sylenth v2.21 (64)
Virus TI 5.0.3.00
GeForce 314.07
MB Intel last bios

cheers

Pedro

Thanks. At least now we can rule out eLicenser, since that is up to 6.5.4.1117.

Hi,

I’m currently using Kontakt 5 and getting loads of spikes which i never experienced in Cubase 6.5.

I’ve tried so many things, from turning up the performance on my PC and physically changing the BIOS settings for C-States, took MultiCore Processing off Kontakt, took off power saving and sleep mode both in cubase and OS.

I currently have:

Windows 7 64Bit
Cubase 7.0 (going to update to Cubase 7.0.2),
Komplete 8 Ultimate (this tends to be the only software i use).
Intel Processor Quadcore 2.83ghz (Q9550),
8gb Ram,
M Audio Axiom 49 Mk2,
M-Audio Fast Track Pro,
Mackie HR824 x2.
Elicenser 6.5.4.1117
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Has anyone found any resolutions yet?

Heavy Kontact\Komplete 8 user as well.

Cubase 7.02 is working well for me, with no obtrusive spiking and stuttering, since I removed Halion 4 demo from my project, even though my ASIO load grew higher without HAlion, as the project evolved. Very odd.

Needless to say I won’t be purchasing Halion 4 and have now un-installed the demo.

The weird part is that my ASIO load, with Halion 4 initiated, was less than 20% on average.

So I would suggest removing any CPU hungry VSTi’s and see if the situation improves. Don’t just disengage it/them but save your project and remove them altogether.

From what I’ve read, culprits seem to be HALion, Kontakt, Omisphere… but not for everyone it seems.

Why? No idea :question:

Has anyone compared performance with those running Firewire I/Os vs USB I/Os?

I’ve got it running pretty decent on my Windows 8 PC now. I changed some settings in my device setup. I set the Audio Priority to “Boost” and lowered my Disk Preload to 2 Seconds which is strange. I would think going higher on the preload would make things better but I can see the Average Load on the VST Performer drop as I lower it. I do have ASIO Guard on. I noticed when I turn it off the Average Load goes down BUT the Real Time Peak goes up.

I love the new features of Cubase 7, but spiking seems to be a common problem with it. I started with the 32 bit version and was getting crackling but my cpu indicator wasn’t showing overload. I couldn’t use The Grand 3 VST plug-in because it would crash my system. Tech support told me to use the 64 bit version of both. I installed the 64 bit version and it worked better. However, I do still get an occasional dropout, pop or stutter when recording or playing back a project.

I have been told that CB7 uses more CPU power than CB6, so maybe I just need a more powerful computer to run this.

When I upgraded to CB7, CB6 remained on my computer, so the only solution I could find so far was to use CB7 when I need to use the new features, then convert everything to processed .wav files, disable the new features and open the project in CB6.

Just a side note: the original crackling sound begins to occur shortly after I start adding plug-ins to my project. The only work around I have found to date is to export the processed track to a new track, then disable the plug-in.

I am only running 8 gig of ram, which is the max that my laptop will handle. Maybe the solution is just to get a better laptop or a tower system with lots more ram.

Same in my side.

C7 shows a high cpu load but I still have the cubase process loading about 20%.

That seems like one hell of a long winded work around. By the time you’ve done all that you’ll be hard put to remember why you did it. The key, I think, is creativity, which can be fleeting. I like to work in the same environment from conception, tracking to mix down. I don’t like having to freeze or bounce tracks and I don’t like to see my ASIO load go much above 60/70%. And, anything resembling rice crispy stutter CPU spiking makes me want to switch off and watch Coronation Street instead.

Just a side note: the original crackling sound begins to occur shortly after I start adding plug-ins to my project. The only work around I have found to date is to export the processed track to a new track, then disable the plug-in.

I am only running 8 gig of ram, which is the max that my laptop will handle. Maybe the solution is just to get a better laptop or a tower system with lots more ram.

8 gig is plenty unless you are using huge sample libraries in your project.

Personally I would advice going for a tower. I know some people seem to be making music with their lap tops but to me they seem limited in terms of raw power. A lap top with it’s tiny PSU and miniature fan compared to the innards of a well specked Tower system just don’t compare IMHO. Sooner or later you’re going to hit the brick wall of physics. I have a Gigabyte EX58, I7, 6 gig RAM, 650 watt PSU set up which is about 3 years old and I’m planning to up grade some time in the next year.

For sure software is improving greatly, but with that comes increased demands in processing power, which in turn draws more grunt from the national grid. In short… there is no magic :open_mouth:

I found this thread after having the exact same issue as the OP.

Cubase 6.5 => perfect.
Cubase 7 => no issues
Cubase 7.0.1 => even better than Cubase 7

Cubase 7.0.2 => Kontakt 5 (latest version) has CPU spikes rendering it useless. I tried all the suggested workarounds (limit voices, cpu cores, etc) nothing worked.

Interestingly, it is only Kontakt that I have this issue with. I run Cubase 6.5 side by side with 7. Kontakt in 6.5 (everything is x64 btw) runs perfectly. In 7.0.2, not so much. Same machine (win7 pc), same vsti folder.

I am CONVINCED that it is a compatibility issue with Kontakt that only exists in 7.0.2. No issues in 7.0.1.

I would very much like to roll back to 7.0.1, but I do not know how. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
-B

What is your average ASIO load like with Kontakt loaded? Not necessarily high I’ll bet. Are you on MAC or PC? And how powerful is your machine?

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a clear definition to this problem. I had the same problem after reinstalling Cubase 6.5.4, only this time x64, where I previously had x86 installed. And I’ve heard of the same problem occurring with other CPU heavy VSTi’s, and with varying versions of Cubase.

I have no clue why this is happening. Fortunately, for me anyway, I was demoing Halion 4 so haven’t lost any investment.

But good luck. If you do find any further information, be sure to let us know.

Hello, first sorry for my English translated by Google.
I have the same problem as you, I did a lot of testing on my side too.
One thing I just found is that loading a default session in Cubase 7.02, without plug-ins or vst vsti I activity in real-time peak. this activity is variable.
I tested on Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit
This makes me think that this is the problem cubase 7.
I do not have this problem in cubase 6.5.4 I suggest you do the same and tell us if a vacuum sessions is the same for you.
In any case, I for one am very disappointed and I would like steinberg manifesto face this problem.
I work professionally in the music and it made me lose a lot of time. It’s a shame! :smiling_imp:
Strongly hoping to solve the problem I wish you a good day.
My Configuration:
http://www.ma-config.com/fr/configurationtemporaire/92487-1_resume.html
the configuration is the same on my 64bit windows!

In another ‘audio drop out’ post Steinberg recommends disabling ASIO Guard in Win8. The poster said it solved all his problems. ?? Steinberg Forums

Here you tried this and saw a reaction but elected to keep it running. I run Win7 and I have tried it both on and off running a trial download of C7. I somewhat echo your results but have elected to disable ASIO Guard anyway.

Finding out that one of the key add-on features in C7 (ASIO Guard) is causing a problem makes me very confused about the need to own C7. I don’t know how Steinberg missed the issue of Win8 and ASIO Guard.

But read that post, it might help.

Thank you…

I tried but almost the same problem…

On 6.5. everything FINE. :cry:

More detailed information:
Intel System Identification Utility Reference Number: 0174 4051
Date Created: Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:10:43 AM
ADVANCED
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Computer Model DZ77GA-70K
Operating System (O/S) Microsoft Windows 8
Operating System Build (O/S) (build 9200), 64-bit
Operating System (version) 6.2.9200
O/S Language 0409
System RAM 8.2 GB
.NET Framework Version 3.5.30729.4926
CD or DVD Device TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB
System Hard Drive Overview
System Total Storage Size: 8.2 TB
Local Disk C: 931.4 GB
Used space: 479.3 GB
Free Space: 452.1 GB
Local Disk D: 5.5 TB
Used space: 3.3 TB
Free Space: 2.1 TB
Local Disk F: 931.4 GB
Used space: 321.0 GB
Free Space: 610.3 GB
Local Disk G: 931.4 GB
Used space: 427.6 GB
Free Space: 503.7 GB
Memory Detail
Total Physical Memory 8.2 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.0 GB
Physical Drive 2
Model ST1000DM003-1CH162
Bus Type RAID
Physical Drive 0
Model Raid 0 Volume
Bus Type RAID
Physical Drive 0
Model Raid 0 Volume
Bus Type RAID
Physical Drive 1
Model WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1
Bus Type RAID
Internet Browser [1] Internet Explorer
Internet Browser Version [1] 9.10.9200.16519

CHIPSET INFORMATION

Chipset Software Status
Intel® Chipset Installation File (INF) detected not detected

Detected Chipset INF Version 9.3.0.1026
Chipset INF Status This version is valid

Detailed Chipset Information Intel® Chipset Identification Utility

GRAPHICS INFORMATION
Graphics Product [1] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Driver Status Non-Intel device detected
Video Memory 3.9 GB
Current Graphics Resolution 1920x1080
Current Color Depth 32 Bits Per Pixel
Graphics Product [2] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Video Memory 4.0 GB
Raw EDID [1] not detected

MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Model DZ77GA-70K
AA Number AAG39009-401
BIOS Vendor Intel Corp.
BIOS Version Intel Corp. GAZ7711H.86A.0063.2013.0129.1913
BIOS Release Date 01/29/13
System Memory 8.2 GB
Built-in Audio Driver Component Realtek ALC
Built-in Audio Driver Version not detected
Built-in Audio Driver Status Newer Driver Available
Bios Software Bios Information

PROCESSOR INFORMATION
Manufacturer Intel
Model Intel(R) Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Intel Processor analysis tools Intel Processor analysis tools
CPU Speed 3.4 GHz
Link to Processor Specification Link to Processor Specification
CPU Revision
CPU Type 00
CPU Family 06
CPU Model 2A
CPU Stepping 7

WIRED NETWORKING INFORMATION
Wired Networking Product Intel® Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K: Intel® 82574L Gigabit Ethernet
Driver Version 12.2.46.0
Driver Status Newer Driver Available
Intel PROSet Version 18.0.1.0
Hardware IDs PCI\VEN_80​86&DEV​_1503&​SUBSYS_203​78086&​REV_04

WIRELESS NETWORKING INFORMATION
Wireless Networking Product not detected
Driver Version not detected
Software/Driver Status Device is unknown or unsupported
Latest version available not detected
Hardware IDs ms_ndiswanip

OK,

I’ve been extensively researching this problem and here’s what I’ve discovered.

At first I thought it was CPU hog VST and VST instrument plug-ins causing the problem but later found that not to be the case. I tried combinations of ASIO guard on and off. Same with Cubase power scheme, with it on and off. I tried all variations of latency settings. I tried with all my UAD plug-ins disabled and with my PowerCore (Access Virus) control set for: Adjust for least host CPU consumption with Buffer multiplier set to its highest x4 level.

None of this made the slightest difference, even with average ASIO loads of no more than 20%. The other night it was so bad I had Cubase go into a perpetual stutter twice and my Computer froze three times. My PC would freeze even while not playing Cubase. I went to make a coffee and found my PC was frozen when I returned. And yes, the PC was completely stuck. No Ctrl Alt Delete was possible. No Task manager accessible. I had to hard reboot to get back to Windows.

Out of desperation, I copied the MIDI files over and tried to recreate the project in Cubase 7.02 x86, only now I had to substitute the Virus with something else as you can’t have x64 and x86 PowerCore on the same machine.

Guess what? No spiking. No stuttering. No freezing. All works nicely in 32 bit Cubase, even with an ASIO load in excess of 30% (so far). But I want to go x64. I’ve got 6 gigs of RAM on my machine and my next build some time next year will have 16 gig. Plus, 64 bit is the future.

Now my sound card is an EMU 1820m, which I’ve had for about ten great service years. I use it to its max, all I/Os (including Adat) with my outboard synths. Works great.

Now, if I have to buy a new sound card I can’t complain after having ten years service from the EMU. Thing is, what if I drop five, six hundred quid on a new card and the problem persists?

After all, I’m not the only one experiencing this problem, am I? And I doubt everyone else with this issue also has an EMU sound card.

So I have to ask, and I’ll probably test this on gear slutz too… is anyone else out their using an EMU 1820m sound card with Cubase x64? Is it working well or are their any problems?

What sound cards are working well with Cubase x64 for you.

All suggestion, ides, comments are appreciated. If you can offer any input, please don’t hesitate.

Many thanks.

I7 CPU, EX58 gigabyte Mobo, 6 gigs ddr 3 RAM, UAD-2 quad, UAD-2 solo, PowerCore Elemental, EMU 1820m

I tried all combinations too, disabling/enabling ASIO guard, power scheme, changing buffers, new projects from scratch, NOT using the virus TI, and I got the same.

I have the 6.5 64b installed in the same machine, pointing to same VST plugin folder. I used the same mids exported from a project and loaded the same vsts. Works pretty well. Also I tried to replicate the spikes by loading TONS of fx (delays, compressors, reverbs) in each channel, NO SPIKES AT ALL.

This sounds like very strange random issue, which not affect all cubase users, since there is some reports about stability, but not my case.

I have only one suspect about my system, related to PSU. My current psu is 520 but I made some calculations and it’s not enough.
I will travel to LA to buy a ax1200i and see what happens. But again, I don’t believe this will fix my issues but at least I will feel more affordable.

cheers

Pedro

I don’t think it will fix your issues either.

Have you tried Cubase 7.02 x86? This has worked for me as a temporary solution, though I already had the 32 bit version installed with its own folder of plug-ins. It wasn’t until 7.02 that I decided to go 64 bit. I don’t like going back but at least I can make music without treading on egg shells. I tried reinstalling Cubase 6.5.4 (but this time x64) but still had the same problem.

I might try reinstalling the EMU driver, not that I think it will help, It’s a 64 bit operating system and, as far as I know, it’s the same driver for both x64 and x86.

Anyway, good luck.

Edit: Actually I could be wrong about Cubase 6.5.4 having the same problem. I’m trying it again and it seems much better now. Go figure :neutral_face: