Crackling Distortion-help please

Hello.
I am hoping someone can help me with this annoying issue that i have. I have the Cubase LE5 and a Lexicon I-Onix U42s. I have owned this system for about 6 months and slowly coming to understand some of its working. I use it primarily to record my guitar and create songs.

Recently, after about five minutes of use I get a **crackling distortion of the sound that makes for an unbearable noise.**The noise affects all tracks and can not be removed by simply muting one track or another. Although it does appears to be affecting the actual tracks rather than just a sound over the top. The crackling distortion sound also seems to have an echo effect.

The crackling distortion is on all files, including those that I recorded months ago when there was no issue and i can not isolate or eliminate the cause. I usually use headphones through the Lexicon and I know it is not the headphones.

I recently recorded a song where I added the effects of distortion, autopan and phaser from the “insert” sounds. I thought this may have caused some residual feedback issue but now i am not sure. Once after the noise became terrible I shut down the system but then quickly brought the CubaseLE5 back up and exported what I thought was the offending song. The exported file showed no distortion.

I really hope someone can help me.

Marco

Try raising the buffer amount/latency setting in the Lexicons control panel.

Thank you, I am very grateful for your reply and I have noticed (with admiration) your help to other users. I will try what you suggested. It may take me a day or so to get to it, partially due to work and my ignorance, but I will reply here to let you know how it goes when I do.