Crash at "Video File Handling" (PC) Cubase 7/8 Win8.1 64bit

[POST UPDATED]

I’ve had an issue numerous times in the past with both Cubase 7.0, 7.5 and 8.0.2… I have a multi-monitor setup: 3 monitor screens and HDTV (HDMI) - currently using Windows 8.1 64 bit with nVidia GTX 780 Ti and onboard i7 3770k HD4000 - but this same issue has happened with previous setups (same screens but slightly older systems and nVidia video cards).

It’s always the same issue: one day all is working fine and then suddenly (normally seems to be connected with a display setup change), I’ll open Cubase and it crashes during startup every time on launch at “Video File Handling” (“Cubase has stopped working…”) Over the last couple of years this issue has happened three or four separate times using Cubase 7 , 7.5 and currently Pro 8. I’m sure it is something to do with changing the screen setup.

So yesterday, once again I had the same problem after working in Cubase Pro 8 the previous night (via remote desktop on laptop in lounge with audio routed to me thorough my secondary sound card and a long cable), all working perfectly. Then I shut down the system and booted up in the morning in 3-screen mode (not remote desktop). Crash on launch at Video File Handling.

SUCCESS! (For a while…)
So, I uninstalled the NVidia display driver and rebooted then I reinstalled an earlier version (v347.52). Then Cubase loaded up fine! (Note: I updated driver to latest nVidia driver version 353 first and this did NOT fix my issue. Only the older driver installation worked.)

FAILURE (again…)
Later on yesterday…
By coincidence, I received a new monitor screen in the afternoon and replace one of my slightly smaller screens (so I changed just one of the three monitor screens in my setup). After plugging it in and booting up, once again, I have exactly the same problem. However, this time, numerous nVidia driver uninstalls (using Driver uninstaller/cleaner) and fresh reinstalls of FIVE different driver versions including the latest did not help… I rolled back once more to 347.52 but still same crash, so back to ‘square one’! :cry:

I’m on Windows 8.1 but this has happened before in 7. Last year when this same problem happened, I actually exhausted all options with a Steinberg support guy over the course of two weeks back and forth and a few remote sessions (with both Cubase 7 and 7.5 running on both Windows 7 and 8.0)… In the end he was stumped too and literally gave up and left me helpless, blaming my hardware! I later discovered that simply unplugging the screens and reordering them back to their earlier order 3 - 1 - 2 or whatever and resinstalling the nVidia driver suddenly made Cubase work one day!

So I played around with the arrangement of my displays this morning and I also tried plugging in the old monitor again to restore my previously working multi-monitor setup but no joy (it sounds crazy but this did once seem to solve a similar issue, believe it or not)… I also still get the same crash with remote desktop…

I also temporarily removed videoengine.dll and all video-related exe files in the Components folder and trashed all Cubase preferences, tried without any nVidia driver installed, renamed all the Cubase folders I could think of while troubleshooting… I also renamed all plugin folders and VST3 folders … but no matter what I do it’s always the same crash each time I launch Cubase at ‘video file handling’.

Cubase 7.5 is installed on another profile I use for work and this actually launches perfectly. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Have you tried to install the latest QuickTime Version? If you don’t need video functions, you can rename the videoxx.dll files in the cubase common programs folder, so it won’t be started.

Thanks Svengali. I checked Quicktime, I installed the latest version to see if this helped but no joy. Not sure if it’s of any use but here is the LOG file report after a crash:

===================================================================
Cubase8.exe Version 8.0.20 Build 468 - 7.7.2015 10:38

Timestamp is 5547e4e7 (Mon May 04 22:30:15 2015)
N:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8\Cubase8.exe

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
Fault address: 5022691F 01:0000591F N:\Windows\System32\pid.dllBytes at CS:EIP:
42 83 64 01 38 fe 48 8b cb e8 2f 00 00 00 48 8b
8c 24 50 02 00 00 48 33 cc e8 13 08 00 00 4c 8d

Whilst I’m waiting for a response from Steinberg support (zzzzz…), I just thought I’d update this thread, that’s if anyone is interested…
I have now tried just about everything in the book… Obviously all the recommended troublehsooting steps on Steinberg site. I have deleted all Cubase/Steinberg files, uninstalled and reinstalled Cubase, numerous different display configurations, tried a plethora of graphics card drivers (and none at all) and now: restored a backup from 6 days ago which was working perfectly back then and I now have the same launch crash. Always at “Initializing: Video File Handling”. The only thing different with my setup now is the fact I have a new third display (same as other two). It’s a shame this is a “miscellaneous” and not a collected issue!? It’s definitely a bug with Cubase (even if I do appear to be the only one in the universe who seems to have experienced it)… it’s caused me so many hours of wasted time and I’m very annoyed and frustrated at the moment. Once again, I’ve had this same problem on different machines/setups with Cubase 7, 7.5 and now ‘Pro 8’… and I’m certain it is always related to a simple display configuration change. Cubase seems to expect a previous setup (although deleting preferences makes no difference) and just crash when it finds something else.

As always, any help or ideas from anyone would be much appreciated. I’d love to know if someone else has ever had this problem… (I’m feeling quite isolated and forgotten here…)

I had the same problem and tried updating quicktime and restarting etc…

Then it suddenly occured to me that i had forgotten to turn on my Motu’s … Switched on those two, and Cubase started… so, it looks like Cubase needs to read the soundcards properly to start.

I’m sorry that this is no help for you, but sometimes the solution is too obvious (and a bit shameful…).

Hi, I just experienced this same issue. Took me 24 hours to solve, this is related to the ASIO Driver failing.
I ran Adobe Premiere and tried to choose my default Avid ASIO Driver, and received the message saying driver failed switching to generic low latency.

I uninstalled the Avid driver and turned off my Interface. using just the default speakers on my 29" Display Cubase ran no problem.
Restarted PC, and installed the driver again, as well as updated all other drivers on my system , mainly the elicencer.
Cubase opened and is running!

The more important part is the cause… I moved to a new home and was using my PC to watch movie, when i switched playback devices it broke the ASIO for all driver except I wasn’t aware until trying to open cubase.