Crash on "Transpose"

When I select Transpose in the Write pull-down menu, Dorico (1.1.10) freezes up and has to be Force Quit.

Hmm. I just this on four different files, including an orchestra piece and a microtonal piece in open meter, and I didn’t have any crashes. Maybe if you upload a short file that exhibits this behavior, that would help.

I tried to upload a file “Yagcilar Zeybek.dorico” and was not allowed to. I got a message “Invalid file extension.”

The forum software will not accept a “.dorico” extension. Zip the file first; then upload. (Proabably best to remove spaces from the filename too. That can cause problems on some Unix systems.)

I hope I’m not the only one to see the irony in the Dorico forum not accepting .dorico files…
YagcilarZeybek.dorico.zip (229 KB)

Would I be right in thinking that the forum is common to all Steinberg products, and that this is the case because its administrators are - justifiably - extremely conscious of security?

Thanks for attaching your file, jsummerskvi. I can reproduce the problem, which is caused by a runaway calculation trying to calculate the appropriate divisions map for the key signature in your project. Unfortunately there won’t be any kind of workaround for your project short of removing the custom key signature until we sort this out. I’m very sorry for the inconvenience.

jsummerskvi, the ‘D Hijaz’ tonality system you’ve set up in this score uses 10-EDO. Can you tell me how you expect the divisions should be set for the various A-B, B-C, C-D, D-E, E-F, F-G steps in the Tonality System dialog? Because there are only 10 divisions, you can’t give a larger value, e.g. 2, to the larger steps (A-B, C-D, D-E, F-G, G-A) and still have any values left over for the smaller steps (B-C, E-F), which you might expect to be 1 division, but of course that would give us 12-EDO rather than 10-EDO.

Thank you, Daniel, for your response and pointing out that “‘D Hijaz’ tonality system you’ve set up in this score uses 10-EDO” but I’m sorry to say that I cannot tell you how I “expect the divisions should be set for the various A-B, B-C, C-D, D-E, E-F, F-G steps in the Tonality System dialog” because I have absolutely no idea what the “steps” mean, how to set them, nor what “EDO” is. The term does not exist in the Dorico Operation Manual. (Nor, for that matter, does the term “transpose”.) Where can I go to get a step-by-step explanation of “EDO” and setting “steps”?
I’m quite pleased that I can create the non-Western key signatures that I use for Balkan music in Dorico, which are for all practical purposes next to impossible in Finale. However, I am not pleased that I cannot easily create a Bb part for a clarinettist.

If I understand it correctly, EDO stands for Equal Division of the Octave.

OK, provided you didn’t mean anything in particular by the way you’ve set up the tonality system, then I can get you back in business. You should find that the attached version of your project allows you to transpose etc. with no problems. Let me know if you still run into any issues with it.
YagcilarZeybek.dorico.zip (323 KB)

You know, this happened today to me too, and it was pretty unfortunate. Daniel’s fix worked though. My music is also in 10-EDO (so maybe there’s something about that equal tuning that Dorico doesn’t like?), with 2\10 between the whole steps and 0\10 between the half steps as aforementioned, so I express accidentals outside of ordinary 12EDO nominals in terms of ups and downs. Daniel’s solution of changing the key signature, from Custom to Atonal, worked just fine for me. Luckily, this is pretty easy since I think in any microtonal tuning, your default key signatures are always Custom and Atonal.