Crash problem

I have been experiencing occassional total (no warning/no change to save) Cubase 6 crashes. I have not been able to get any useful support from customer service, so I’m hoping someone may have had similar difficulties and can point me in the right direction.

Cubase 6 updated to the latest version
VSTi plug-ins: NI Komplete/Play/G Player also updated.
OS: Windows7 Pro64. Cubase and plug-ins running in 64 bit mode
Intel i7, 6 core, 3.2GHz, 24 GB ram.

Crash happens (90+% of the time) when I’m attempting to save a project for the first time. Likelihood of crash seems to be related to whether or not I’ve done it soon after creating the project or if I’ve waited.

I suspect there may be a problem locating an audio file that doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the project. I am often prompeted to find/update the location of “slide on pv neck.wav”. Cubase seems to want to locate this file EVEN IF I have taken all the contents of the user/AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Cubase 6_64 offline (as suggested by Steinberg Customer support).

If anyone recognizes the reason for my crashes or if they know where the search routine originates, I’d be most grateful.

It’s probably entered in the pool in your template, but not actually there

Like lanter says, you probably have this file referenced in a template you use. Open the template, go to the audio pool, remove the file(s) there, and save the template again. That should take care of that.

Maybe it shouldn’t be the reason for your crashes, but I’d make it a habit to save the project right after starting it. It gives Cubase a reference where to put recorded audio, images etc. Maybe by lacking a project folder, Cubase is saving to a place where things become problematic (do you have enough disk space on each drive?). You could also check where temporary files are stored.

Luck, Arjan

Maybe by lacking a project folder, Cubase is saving to a place where things become problematic

That could be it

I got the prompt for the missing file when I had renamed the user/appdata/roaming/steinberg/cubase 6_64 as “old” so that none of the settings or templates were available and I was constructing a project based on C6’s default.

It may be correct that the program is trying to save to an “unfortunate” place, but the program is set up to create it own sequentially numbered and incrementing untitled folders and isn’t all that unusual that I will have a crash but be able to find a untitlted.bak file in the most recently created folder.

So, did you check whether the file was in your template audio pool or not? I don’t believe a fresh Cubase will ask for something as specific as “slide on pv neck.wav”.

It may be correct that the program is trying to save to an “unfortunate” place, but the program is set up to create it own sequentially numbered and incrementing untitled folders and isn’t all that unusual that I will have a crash but be able to find a untitlted.bak file in the most recently created folder.

There’s always two ways of working with software:

1. Follow recommended workflow guidelines, like setting up a project folder at the start of a new project.
  2. Try the limits of the program, elaborating on what it should or should not do at certain situations.
    Personally, I’m not here for the sake of discussion, so you may very well be right, but I prefer #1.

Luck, Arjan

So, did you check whether the file was in your template audio pool or not? I don’t believe a fresh Cubase will ask for something as specific as “slide on pv neck.wav”.

I have never created a template with audio. There is no file currently in the audio folder with my templates. When I “nuked” the user file presumably containing all of that information (per customer support) I was STILL prompted to find the file. I have no idea why it would be looking for that unless there is some kind of peculiar corruption. THAT is what I’m trying to find out. Where would that be? What kind of file would that be? Can it be edited? Can it be replaced?

There’s always two ways of working with software:

1. Follow recommended workflow guidelines, like setting up a project folder at the start of a new project.
  2. Try the limits of the program, elaborating on what it should or should not do at certain situations.
    Personally, I’m not here for the sake of discussion, so you may very well be right, but I prefer #1.

I suspect you’re implying that I’m doing something off the reservation here. I am using Cubase in a very normal way and using Steinberg defaults for creating/organizing/saving files. I don’t know what you’d presuppose as “trying the limits” but I doubt I’d fit that definition even loosely. What is disturbing is that there doesn’t seem to be good customer support and tools to track and log program functions.

You didn’t say that you opened the pool - looked for the file ‘slide on pv neck.wav’ - and didn’t find it. I have to think the pool is looking for this, can’t find it, and therefore can’t save your project. I don’t have any reason to think you created this file on purpose, but it seems Cubase thinks you did. Expand your project window, look for it at bar 350 even, get crazy.

(For that matter, I think Cubase would save a project if a file was missing. But then you are crashing - which indicates some serious effort of the part of Cubase.)

I agree, this is odd, but remember that no one else here is experiencing this. Right? If this were the case, that pv neck file would be talked about a lot. As a last effort, just rebuild your project setup file FROM SCRATCH and then get on with recording. Like somebody else said, at this point you should NOT be building your future projects based on this project window that is causing your crashing.

Well, I don’t have the exact same behaviour but I do get blue screens now and then when running Cubase.

When Cubase becomes unresponsive, I usually stop it using Task Manager and the proceed to do a Restart my windows. This is where I get the blue screen.

I am running Cubase 6 64 bit on Windows 7 64 bit.