Crash recovery with Dorico

On Dorico 3.0.1051 I’m seeing many a crash and it’s generally sluggish on my MacPro5,1 (lots of SWOD).

Leaving that aside for a moment: when it crashes, the previous VSTAudioEngine3 is left dangling, which the restarted Dorico does not connect to. I need to manually kill VSTAudioEngine3 and then restart Dorico. Could this be fixed?

That’s certainly not the general experience, so it may be a local problem that needs to be fixed on your Mac, rather than via an update.

One thing found to cause problems is lots of third-party VSTs that may not ‘play nicely’. Try removing them and seeing if Dorico runs better. Also Create a Diagnostic report (under the Help menu) and post the results (found on your Desktop) here.

As suggested by Ben, please do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file, which you’ll find on your desktop, to a reply here so I can take a look and see what’s going on.

The first thing to try is to make sure you have updated to the latest eLicenser Control Center software, which you can find here.

My bad. A crashed Dorico does appear to (eventually) reconnect to the old audio engine process.

Why it’s crashing so often, I’m still trying to figure out. One thing I notice is that switching between multiple opened scores takes several seconds because it appears the player is reloading samples when the score becomes active. Do this a few times and Dorico becomes unresponsive and I have to force quit it. This is a bit tricky workflow wise (rough MIDI arrangement in one score, orchestration in another).

OK, a workaround is to import the music to be arranged into the destination score.

If you need to switch between two projects a lot, for the time being you might find it helpful to set both projects to use the ‘Silence’ playback template temporarily.

If you can provide a diagnostic report, we can look into the crashes and hopefully see what’s going on.