Crash Report w/ProcExp64 dump file

I had some difficulty getting Dorico 5.0.20 to launch after running the latest update to the Plugin Alliance VSTs - no idea why this would cause any problem whatsoever. Anyway, I created a full dump file using ProcExp64.exe. It’s too big to upload to the forum, so I uploaded it to WeTransfer. Here’s the link:

You should be able to download the file from that link. Let me know if you have any problems, please. BTW, I’ve since been able to get around the problem and launce Dorico Pro, so I don’t know what was going on. Please advise, and thanks.

We can’t easily work with these kinds of massive full .dmp files. I assume Dorico itself didn’t crash, but you had to forcibly quit it and then restart it?

Dorico got to the startup screen/brown box/whatever and just hung at the “initializing audio subsystem” stage of startup.

Should I have generated a MiniDump instead? Or am I just wasting everyone’s time?

No, not wasting time. But a minidump would completely suffice in such situations. Also, please do from Dorico’s menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

I’ve tried that in the past, and I keep getting zero-byte dump files. I think you worked with me on some of those. Remember? The only way to get a dump with some content in it is through ProcExp64.exe.

Hi @leejackson , yes, I partially do remember, but not the details any more.

See, the full dumps are way too big to handle, but you can tell ProcessExplorer to just create a mini dump. On the other hand, if you create a dump of a Dorico process that is hanging during waiting for an answer from the audio engine, then that does not help us either. If it happens again, please have a look for a background process called VSTAudioEngine. If it is around, create a mini dump via Process Explorer. If it is not around, have a look under C:/Users/“your user name”/Documents/Steinberg/Crashes and see if you can find some recent items there that are not 0 byte size. Zip them up and please send me. Thanks

1 Like