Crash When Changing Audio Connections

Hello everyone!

I’ve upgraded my Cubase Elements 10.5 to Artist 12 and since i’ve done that i’ve been experiencing several bugs/crashes…

And one of those bugs/crashes happen every time i try to change or add audio connections. Both inputs and outputs changes cause this problem.

The moment i change the in/out routing the program simply stops responding to any command or mouse click, so i’m forced to use the Window’s task manager to force End Task.

Does anyone knows what is causing this and how to fix it?

Ah, by the way my setup is:

Universal Audio Apollo x8 interface

Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core i9 9900K

16gb memory DDR4

Hi,

Could you try to (backup and) delete all your Cubase preferences folders to get the factory settings, please?

Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase X_64

Hey Martin!

I found the folder but to be honest i have no clue which files/folders are actually related to my preferences and how to reset it to factory settings. The only information i saw online was related to the Profile Manager or something like that (Cubase Pro only).

Do i need to select every single file/folder from this location?

I regularly (and systematically when changing something in my preferences/Audio connections/Studio setup) make a backup of the whole preferences folder (for a Windows 10 user : C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 12_64) : it saved my a** several times, already.

So, and as @Martin.Jirsak already said, backup the whole folder and delete its content, at least the files in it, leaving the subfolders as they are (they are not usually involved when Cubase is misbehaving).

If you really want to know what files are involved in the Cubase settings, look here. Maybe you’ll be able to get rid of just few of them, the Defaults.xml one being often the main culprit when Cubase behavior goes wrong.

Hi,

Backup and delete the whole Cubase 12 (or Cubase 12_64), Cubase 11, Cubase 10.5… folder(s), please. Cubase will create a new one during the next start.

I too have freezes when changing audio out puts in 12 with windows 10 in my main workstation
My lap top works fine

Then apply the same step: Make Cubase create a new set of preferences as described above. It is actually enough to rename the folder “Cubase 12_64” to e.g. “Cubase 12_64_old”. Do this whiile Cubase is NOT running.
Let us know if that prevents the freezes.

Hi,

I don’t recommend this. Sometimes Cubase could read this as the preferences folder. Much better is to set the current date as the prefix. Like “2022-12-27_Cubase 12_64” for example.

Oof! Took me a while to reply here lol

I did the backup on the preferences folder and deleted both the cubase artist 12 and elements 10.5 preferences folder and it seems to have fixed this issue. BUT then I imported my old preferences folder back again and the problems returned.

It seems that I will have to check what have I changed on my preferences in my old and bugged folder and then do it again in a clean folder.

1 Like