Crash When Loading Projects

So, I have two types of crashes going on when loading any of my projects. I am in the middle of an important project for a client and am desperate to get this fixed.

  1. The first crash produces a Cubase error that blames the crash on my Eastwest Play dll. Happens at irregular times in the loaded process while loading my 45GB+ template. See crash report below.

2.) Other times, I get a full-on Blue Screen of Death with the stop code 0x00000050. This always happens when loading my samples.

I’ve tried: clearing disk space, updating drivers that I could think of, uninstalling/reinstalling graphics drivers, performing disk checks, error checking system files. Any ideas to this big problem? Below is the crash report of the first type of crash:

Cubase 8

Stopped working

‎10/‎15/‎2015 8:58 AM

Not reported

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8\Cubase8.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Cubase8.exe
Application Version:
Application Timestamp: 55e48727
Fault Module Name: play_VST_x64.dll
Fault Module Version:
Fault Module Timestamp: 55b39381
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000005e79ae
OS Version: 6.1.7601.
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2d70
Additional Information 2: 2d70efb00ba30516fc6c264d43a73456
Additional Information 3: 64a3
Additional Information 4: 64a308dd4c157182975ed788da86c383

I have Windows 7 and the latest version of Cubase 8 and the latest version of Play.


this won’t be easy. I’m moving the thread to Miscellaneous, so you and others can post without waiting for approval (besides that, this is hardly a bug to report).

The stop error 0x00000050 can have many causes:

System drivers updates
Registry issues
Software conflicts
System files (e.g. srvnet.sys, but not limited to that)
…and possibly more. The Windows minidump should contain more info about it.

The exception code in the error report above is a pretty general Access Violation.
You have a very big project, these issues can occur anywhere - I would strongly recommend to reduce the project’s size, if possible at all.

Also, the stack text in the Cubase dump file(s) will most probably contain PLAY tasks, which we cannot resolve (those symbols are not public, like ours… only the responsible engineers / devs can resolve them).

You wrote you updated all drivers, please make sure also the motherboard drivers are up to date.

I’m not sure this will help, though - such a huge project is difficult to handle for Cubase, Windows and all the software involved. We are talking of an enormous amount of memory addresses and tasks being performed at the same time. And in real-time.

I’ll try to get something more from the ‘Additional Information’ and post back if I find something.