Crash while working with a video

Hi,

Dorico Pro crashed while working with a video synched to the music. I think the latest thing I was doing was editing a marker’s time in the Marker panel.

If I remember correctly, this is not the first time it happens while working with video. I’m not sure it has always been happening when dealing with markers.

Mac Pro 2013, High Sierra. Please see the attached crash report.

Paolo

dorico-crash-audio-video.txt.zip (3.7 KB)

Today, the Mac panicked while I was exporting audio from a different project. No video involved, this time.

Paolo

dorico-crash-export-audio.txt.zip (3.8 KB)

When your Mac kernel panics, that’s nothing to do with the user mode applications running at that moment. Rather it’s to do with something lower level, typically a device driver or other kind of kernel extension. If you look at the text file you have attached, you will see that the AMD Radeon driver is potentially implicated.

Thank you Daniel. Since this only happens while I’m using Dorico, is there something that may be triggering a particular odd function in the Radeon?

Paolo

Quite possibly, yes. I believe that the video window uses OpenGL, so it could be a problem with the OpenGL support in your display driver.

Since my Mac froze again while using Dorico, and this time without any video involved, I wonder if there is some particular log I should check in the Diagnostic folder of the Console. Maybe this could help catching the issue, wherever it is.

Paolo

When you say your Mac froze, what exactly do you mean? Did you experience a kernel panic, or did only Dorico hang, or what?

Sorry, I was not clear. It’s a two-steps problem.

1. While working in Dorico, the Mac becomes unresponsive. The spinning wheel appears, sometimes alternating with the hand pointer. The mouse pointer continues to move, songs continue to play, but you can’t access any of the windows. I’ve not found a specific operation when it happens; last time I was entering gradual dynamics. Can’t remember if it always happens when also using Vienna Ensemble Pro or not.

2. I turn the display off and then on, and this causes the Mac to have a kernel panic and restart. Or I have to force-power off the Mac while it is unresponsive. Either of them.

The Radeons in the Mac Pro 2013 have (had?) an issue with this type of freeze. The only times I’ve experienced it is while using Dorico. Not with software, even obsolete (like Adobe CS6), that I use for longer. And it is a recurring issue.

I would like to locate what is happening when it happens, but so far I’ve not been able to find anything I can understand in the various logs around that time. Being able to find for something in particular would maybe help finding the culprit.

Paolo

One of the kernel panic crash logs has this:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
         com.apple.kext.AMDRadeonX4000

Searching for this shows many problems with this card/driver: Kernel Extensions in backtrace:com.apple.kext.AMDRadeonX4000 - Google Search

This thread does have some specific suggestions that work for some users: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250867703

Thank you for pointing me toward that one. I’ll look for it. I’ve already explored many discussions about this particular video card and video card in general, but I’m still not at nothing, when looking for what can be triggering this issue.

Paolo