Crashes iOS Dorico 5.0.20.2026

There was an anoying popup all the time when some item was clicked.
Hence I bought the iOS Version, because of promise that a lot of more features would work.
After the purchase, however, some things turned out to be empty promises. Will consider to refund this product.

And while testing I had a lot of crashes. This is just the last with completely unclear what happens.
I just selected some notes in the writing mode then it crashed.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (320.3 KB)

Could you perhaps say specifically what expectations went unrealized?

What were you hoping to achieve? What happened instead?

Were the crashes the main problem? What (specifically) were you doing when the system crashed? Just selecting notes? What methods did you try to select them? Pencil? Finger? The more you can tell us, the more help we can give.

Those of us who find Dorico very useful (not perfect, but useful) would rather help you achieve your goals than see you abandon a program that you might soon find helpful.

I’m sorry you’ve had crashes in Dorico for iPad. Unfortunately, Dorico for iPad isn’t able to automatically collect up crash logs when you create a diagnostic report. Please have a look at Settings > Privacy & Security > Analytics, and look for files whose names begin “Dorico”. Zip them up and attach them here. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I would also be interested to know which of Dorico for iPad’s advertised features you have not been able to access.

Answer to first 3 questions:
For instance just tried out a Dorico project with chords on it. In iPad for Dorico in playback there is a chords track with an sound button. Kicking on it in the non-paid versions showed a popup that this is not part of this version please upgrade to paid. After paying this does not work either and I now also find a topic here in the forum that this seems to be an long outstanding awaited feature. I would call that misleading advertisement.
I remember the advertisement also noted some more powerful capabilities in the engrave mode. But actually this is still very limited. I found no way in iPad version to alter layouts to shrink first pages - just wanted to have a small header instead a full blown metadata header.
The tutorials are not working at all, you can click on them nothing happens - no popups, no inline help nothing ( I just compared it to a trial desktop version ). Actually the help seems to be linked to old version of Dorico for iPad 1.2.0 ( Dorico Help ) . Not sure if there is an updated help system.

Answers to the 6 questions regarding crashes.
I noticed several crashes in the meanwhile. The crashed mentioned above was really just selecting notes with the finger ( it automatically selected all notes in a bar, which was fine for me in that case ) and then doing nothing - I just was distracted by a in-person talk, came back to the iPad and the application was frozen. I tried to do app switching but after a while Dorico just disappeaered. I started it again and then tried to collect the logs via the menu item ( which seems to be also just an empty placeholder function when I read @dspreadbury answer correctly, I did not inspected the zip file prior to uploading it. Hoped it contains useful information).

I find Dorico also very useful. I became very enthusiastic as a listener of Markus Hartmann Vlog. I just did simple things. Cleaning up some beginner piano scores, reducing distractions to improve reading ability for a student.

What I also would like to have more control about the midi export especially which part goes into which track. I tried to rearrange players and tried to workarround it putting some shallow players with only one note. I want to make it more compatible to Roland piano digiscore system which has from my understanding 4 tracks ( 1. for some internal midi stuff, 2. left hand, 3. right hand, 4. accompaniment ). Therefore it would be nice to have more control over midi export. Otherwise I need to make adjustments with another tool.

Thanks for you quick assist. I am really thankful to such responsive community.

After buying the Dorico I cannot see the advertisement popup anymore. Maybe I should have done a screenshot of it before.

But I remember there was also advertisement that engrave mode is more powerful.
For example a little schooling arrangements where the accompaniment part is in a different key. I was not able to figure out how to do it with the base version and I had hoped that this will be more obvious.

How you would only have Key Signature for the „B. 1“ Player? If I try to apply a key signature here it will be applied to all Players. I guess I miss some concept here but I do not know where to look it up. The help system is of no help here.

„In Dorico for iPad, key signatures exist within the overarching tonality system for your project.“
Is this the limitation correlating to this issue?

Just tried again the tutorial stuff. Now those blue inline help items appear. Maybe there was an update which fixed it?

I guess the mentioned crash correlates to files with the 2023-12-10 timestamp in its name.

crashes-ios-dorico-5-0-20-2026_885061.zip (105.3 KB)

Chord symbol playback via the Chords track in Play mode is not explicitly advertised as a paid feature – and indeed that will be possible for free users as well when it is implemented, but we haven’t been able to prioritise this yet. It’s a bit trickier than it appears because of some big differences between the way the rack for virtual instruments is managed between desktop Dorico and Dorico for iPad. But it is definitely something we plan to address as soon as we can.

Dorico for iPad with a subscription or the Lifetime Unlock in-app purchase is roughly equivalent to Dorico Elements, so Engrave mode is limited to graphical editing of elements in the project, staff spacing, and horizontal note spacing. You can’t edit frames in Dorico for iPad or Dorico Elements.

Maybe it would make sense to remove the implicit advertisement then :wink:

Would be cool if the community finds some workarounds for the editing of frames.
When i remember from a „Dorico auf Deutsch“ vlog it is possible when someone(teacher) sends you a project from Dorico Pro with a suitable frame, it should be possible to open it in Dorico for iPad. I think this mentioning was in the episode where a guest for music education talked about requirements for musical notation in education.