Crashes on file dialogs (open, save as, export, import etc)

Hi,

I am experiencing a weird error. For some reason, when I am having a project loaded up that uses alot of RAM (currently experiencing the error with a project that loads 15 gb of samples to the RAM), and open up a file dialog, like the “open project”, “save as” or “import track archive” dialogs, Cubase just vanishes from the screen. If I look in the task manager it’s there, not in under the applications tab, but under the processes tab. And it takes about 5 minutes for Cubase6.exe to close. Also, I cannot close it manually. Nothing happens.

This is a very annoying issue as you can probably imagine. I cannot save new versions of the project (I do this every time I have done something I don’t want to redo). I cannot import data. I cannot do anything that opens a “file dialog” like the ones I described in the above paragraph.

Is this a common error? Is this caused by my computer or is this a bug in Cubase?

My specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit (Service Pack 1)
ASUS Sabertooth x58 motherboard
Intel i7-980 Hexacore CPU with 3,33 hz on each core (Socket LGA1366, 12 mb cache)
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 16000Mhz, 6x4 GB (24 GB)
Crucial m4 SSD 2,5" 3x64GB (my OS and Cubase is located on one of these, but there is 8-9 GB of free space at all times)
ATI Radeon 5450 graphics card
Cubase 6.0.3 (I haven’t updated to 6.0.4 as I read it isn’t officially supported, but rather a hot fix for some issues I haven’t been experiencing)

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it a bunch.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Anton Berlin

Anton,

Almost all file dialogs are OS specific, so it may be next to impossible to determine the cause of this error.

Regarding 6.04, I have it installed C6 (trial) on a fresh and fully updated Vista 32 bit system without issue other than the odd audio glitch which happens on each subsequent version as the algorithms modified to accommodate changes in the OS.

Maybe you could try installing the 32 bit version to see if there is a problem in the address space of your computer (32 bits will run in a single 4GB address space, maybe this is where the problem lies).

Thank you for your reply!

Maybe I can try that, to narrow the problem down, but unfortunately that doesn’t solve anything for me as I need the 64 bit version. I work with large sample libraries, so I need to be able to have large projects. I cannot do that with a 32 bit host.

Regards,
Anton